1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

No 'CHECK NOW' button on Hero

1. jaseism

jaseism Member

I am keen to upgrade to Android 2.1 but have no 'Check Now' button in the 'About Phone' menu. I am running Firmware 1.5 and Software v.1.0.0.A6288. How to I upgrade on my T-Mobile branded device? Is the best way to download the T-Mobile software direct from the HTC website?

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Have you got 2.1 update-1 yet? You won't have the Check Now button until you receive part one of the update.

You can make the phone check for updates by skipping the date ahead by two weeks.
  3. jaseism

jaseism Member

I havent got the 2.1 update yet.

I tired putting the date ahead yesterday but received nothing. Maybe i didnt give it long enough. How long would it take to send the notification to my phone or does it depend entirely on T-mobile?
  4. jonous101

jonous101 Well-Known Member

I put my date forward by a month and waited several hours and i didn't get a message about updating either. I just put my date back - only thing i want out of this 2.1 is to transfer files via bluetooth to other phones.
  5. jaseism

jaseism Member

6. Stike Vomit

Stike Vomit New Member

Try putting the date forward by 1 year - it worked immediately for me. Previously I'd tried putting it forward by 2 weeks, and then by a month or two, without any success.
  7. Xyro

Make sure you have it set up to check for updates in the settings.

That firmware you linked to is the old 1. 5 that you've already got.
  8. jaseism

jaseism Member

It's set to automatically update. The build number on my device is 1.76.110.6 whereas the one on the link is 2.73.110.26. Isn't this the latest one?
  9. Xyro

You're on really old firmware. 2.73 is still Android 1.5, just a more recent version than yours. Build numbers for 2.1 all start with 3, like: 3.X.X.X

Updating to that may well help get the OTA update, but it will wipe all your data off the phone.
  10. jaseism

jaseism Member

I'll try the update in the hope that it will give me the OTA option. I'll back up what i need to but i aim to have 2.1 by the end of the week.
  11. simplysquare

simplysquare Well-Known Member

does that include contacts saved to the sim card?
  12. Xyro

No, the sim card, SD card and anything backed up online is safe.
  13. jaseism

jaseism Member

I have used contact2sim to back up the contacts saved to the device.
  14. jaseism

jaseism Member

Well.....I downloaded the update from the link in my earlier post. As soon as this was installed, I was prompted to install an update which was also successful. I then tried the software update which said that I was up-to-date (with V1.5). I found out through the T-mobile forum that they had taken the 2.1 OTA update down temporarily, however, at lunchtime today, the update was up again and I now have 2.1 installed problem free.
  15. Xyro

Cool :) I don't think that's the first time I've heard of T-Mobile doing that. I wonder why it's necessary?

Enjoy 2.1 :)