• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Command prompt when updating phone

Jladd15

Lurker
Jan 4, 2017
I am just trying to update to Android Marshmallow 6.0 and everything was going smoothly until the little green android bot appeared dead on the ground with an exclamation point in a red triangle above it with the text "No Command." below it. I've tried getting into the boot menu and entering in recovery mode but that just restarts the phone and gets me back to the same "No Command" screen. Any thoughts? Thanks!

The firmware has been released for Marshmallow on xt1254. Install it with rsdlite 6.5.4, latest version I believe how are you trying to start the bootloader? From dead off, power+vol dwn, release power after a second or two.
Did you get it to work? Mine just did the
I am just trying to update to Android Marshmallow 6.0 and everything was going smoothly until the little green android bot appeared dead on the ground with an exclamation point in a red triangle above it with the text "No Command." below it. I've tried getting into the boot menu and entering in recovery mode but that just restarts the phone and gets me back to the same "No Command" screen. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Please help! Did you get it to work? Mine is doing the same thing.

Upvote 0
I think this going out OTA? My phone just prompted me to go to wifi to download an update: 24.81.5.enUS which seems to be Marshmallow.

**Updated 7:53pm PST**
My OTA update completed in about 45 minutes and all functions are live. Glad to have the Doze function since my battery is no longer the same as when it was new.

Am actually quite surprised VZW and Moto(Lenovo) actually carried through with the official release for Droid Turbo, cause I thought it was never going to happen.
https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/droid-turbo-update/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am having the same issue.....I clicked on the install update and now it is stuck cycling between the No Command and restarting. It will sit with No Command and then restart, vibrate, and go back to No Command.

Someone stated to power from dead but I just charged my phone prior to this install so I have a bit of battery left before its dead.

Will attempt to turn on and follow above recommendation once its off and can be charged from dead.

Upvote 0
The firmware has been released for Marshmallow on xt1254. Install it with rsdlite 6.5.4, latest version I believe how are you trying to start the bootloader? From dead off, power+vol dwn, release power after a second or two.
So I was able to push power down for about 20 seconds to power off completely. Then I held vol down for about 2 seconds, hit power, held until START popped up. From there I went into Recovery but it still showed No Command.

Upvote 0
So I was able to push power down for about 20 seconds to power off completely. Then I held vol down for about 2 seconds, hit power, held until START popped up. From there I went into Recovery but it still showed No Command.
The package is to be flashed with Rsdlite, while the phone is in bootloader mode, and plugged into the computer. The recovery partition will be repaired as part of the flashing process.

Upvote 0
I am having the same issue.....I clicked on the install update and now it is stuck cycling between the No Command and restarting. It will sit with No Command and then restart, vibrate, and go back to No Command.

Someone stated to power from dead but I just charged my phone prior to this install so I have a bit of battery left before its dead.

Will attempt to turn on and follow above recommendation once its off and can be charged from dead.
Mine was dead and still no luck.

Upvote 0
Can you please explain that to someone who isn't super tech savvy? I'm desparate!
Put the phone in bootloader mode, plug it into your computer, open up RSD Lite, select the firmware package that is best left on your desktop for now Period start, and allowed to decompress and install. If need be, your phone should be able to charge while in boot loader mode.

Upvote 0
Mine was dead and still no luck.
I'm wondering if the battery is dead, how will it start? Do you mean to
Put the phone in bootloader mode, plug it into your computer, open up RSD Lite, select the firmware package that is best left on your desktop for now Period start, and allowed to decompress and install. If need be, your phone should be able to charge while in boot loader mode.
Ok- I am currently downloading rsd lite on my computer. Will that wipe my data from the phone? (pics etc?) I'm hoping to save them.

Upvote 0
When that is done, from RSD Lite, it will clear off everything from the phone....does that include the service information as well? I will need to reactive the service? Thanks!
The phone will be wiped clean as though it has just come from the factory . You will have to re-enter all your initial account information. The service with your wireless provider will remain intact due to the SIM card in the phone.

Upvote 0
I'm wondering if the battery is dead, how will it start? Do you mean to

Ok- I am currently downloading rsd lite on my computer. Will that wipe my data from the phone? (pics etc?) I'm hoping to save them.
The file, as it is, will indeed wipe you're entire phone clean. However, if memory serves, you can unzip the firmware, edit the XML file by deleting the line of delete user info. Re-zip everything back together and try it there. Need an expert to chime in a confirmation on this.

Upvote 0
I think this going out OTA? My phone just prompted me to go to wifi to download an update: 24.81.5.enUS which seems to be Marshmallow.

**Updated 7:53pm PST**
My OTA update completed in about 45 minutes and all functions are live. Glad to have the Doze function since my battery is no longer the same as when it was new.

Am actually quite surprised VZW and Moto(Lenovo) actually carried through with the official release for Droid Turbo, cause I thought it was never going to happen.
https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/droid-turbo-update/
So did you ever have the "No command" issue?

Upvote 0
I had this issue after allowing Marshmallow to install overnight. I awoke this morning to the "No Command" robot and tried all the above solutions. I hadn't rooted the phone and never had used RSD Lite, but I downloaded & Installed, but couldn't get the program to see my phone.

Surprisingly, the Verizon website's troubleshooting page for the Droid Turbo upgrade seems to have helped. There's a hyperlink at the bottom for a Software Upgrade Assistant that did recognize my phone, detected that an update was available (it looks like the error occurred prior to Marshmallow installing), downloaded the update, installed the update, and my phone is currently into the "Optimizing app ## of ###" phase of the post-upgrade reboot.

If I don't post back here, assume that his fixed the problem for me as a Verizon subscriber.

Upvote 0
I had this issue after allowing Marshmallow to install overnight. I awoke this morning to the "No Command" robot and tried all the above solutions. I hadn't rooted the phone and never had used RSD Lite, but I downloaded & Installed, but couldn't get the program to see my phone.

Surprisingly, the Verizon website's troubleshooting page for the Droid Turbo upgrade seems to have helped. There's a hyperlink at the bottom for a Software Upgrade Assistant that did recognize my phone, detected that an update was available (it looks like the error occurred prior to Marshmallow installing), downloaded the update, installed the update, and my phone is currently into the "Optimizing app ## of ###" phase of the post-upgrade reboot.

If I don't post back here, assume that his fixed the problem for me as a Verizon subscriber.
I downloaded the SUA tool, but it isn't recognizing my phone. Any advice? What did you have on your phone when you connected to the computer through USB? I have the SUA program up. Thank you!!

Upvote 0
I downloaded the SUA tool, but it isn't recognizing my phone. Any advice? What did you have on your phone when you connected to the computer through USB? I have the SUA program up. Thank you!!

I had my phone powered on & connected to my PC via USB from a "normal" boot (i.e. the "No Command" was showing). In the SUA tool, there was a "Phone not being recognized?" link on the main screen. I clicked that link and it brought up a page with some more info (I don't recall exactly what it said), I rebooted the phone via Pwr-VolDown, then held VolDwn while it restarted. I *think* it recognized from there, but I have have selected the "Boot[something]" option and had the phone reboot itself again to get it to recognize.

Also, my phone was not encrypted and really had nothing I would consider to be "special" with the exception that I had pattern-unlock enabled.

Upvote 0
In the past it has been reported that the Windows version of SUA (and the Repair Assistant) will not work when you try to connect with a USB 3 port, but will work only with USB 2 ports. If you have both on your computer, try using another port (or distinctly switch to a USB 2 port, if you know where they are.) If you have no USB 2 ports, try to borrow another computer that may have one. Or, you can try another USB cable as well.

Upvote 0
In the past it has been reported that the Windows version of SUA (and the Repair Assistant) will not work when you try to connect with a USB 3 port, but will work only with USB 2 ports. If you have both on your computer, try using another port (or distinctly switch to a USB 2 port, if you know where they are.) If you have no USB 2 ports, try to borrow another computer that may have one. Or, you can try another USB cable as well.
Darn, I'm using a USB 2 port and no luck. I'm in Fastboot mode and have the SUA up, but it is not detecting my phone. It says that "this screen will go away once fastboot mode is detected." Odd because when I plug the phone in the computer, I can hear the 2 beeps the computer makes signifying something has been connected. Ugh. Any other ideas? I'm ready to scream.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones