No Contract/Wireless Device

Last Updated:

1. Radly

Radly Member This Topic's Starter

I've read the various threads on pricing for the Evo without a contract but haven't seen exactly what I'm looking for.

I want nothing to do with Sprint. I only want the Evo to use as a wireless device to play around with Android.

Will I be able to purchase the phone for 450-500.00 and walk out of the store without even a month to month contract?

Does the 500.00 retail price from RS or 450.00 from Sprint Store still require an initial month to month setup or can I really buy the phone and use it strictly as a wireless device for that price? Is some sort of activation required before I can deactivated it and go 100% wireless? (also, are there any restrictions with buying Android apps that require cell?)

Thanks. I like the hardware and Android but really don't need the phone/3G/4G functions.

Advertisement
  2. R1_Rydah

R1_Rydah Well-Known Member

3. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

^what he said. But if you only plan to use wifi it's kind of overkill to buy a phone. You can get a badass Android tablet for less probably.

4. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

cdma doesnt do contractless except for the discount carriors

5. Tallest65

Tallest65 Member

Does anyone think that a discount carrier will activate the phone? From what I'm understanding, they only activate phones that they sell... I could be wrong though. Just looking not to get caught in the month-to-month webbing.

6. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

metro prbly could but you would need a rom for it and that will be the bigger problem for a while

7. Radly

So I can't walk out of the store paying retail unless I at least sign up for a contract for one month? If I was to cancel my full retail paid EVO after one month, would I then be free to use just the WiFi?

8. clambert1273

clambert1273 Well-Known Member

there is no month-to-month ?

9. Agent Jones

Agent Jones Well-Known Member

best thing to do is get one of the Google I/O phones either on Ebay or SF CL.

10. Aridon

Aridon Well-Known Member

Get a tablet.

11. Radly

Well I was able to walk into my local Radio Shack, pay 50.00 for a gift certificate (reserving an EVO) I confirmed that I could pick up my EVO June 4th, pay the rest of the 499 (less 50.00 gift cert) and be on my way without a contract or activation.

They didn't run a credit check and said I didn't have to.

Note: It was the first EVO they had pre ordered at that store. The receipt they handed me was 2+ feet long.

As long as the wireless works I'll be happy.