No CyanogenMod planned for S4General

1. ExtremeNerd

ExtremeNerd Well-Known Member

Per AndroidCentral:

Nobody at Team Hacksung (the team behind Galaxy S2, Note, S3, Note2, G Tabs... official CM ports) plans to buy it, neither develop for it. There are two variants which will be a pain to maintain, [and] the bugs we have on the S3 will probably be there on S4, too (camera), and we all know Samsung ability to release sources while staying in line with mainline. Yes Qualcomm releases sources, but Exynos sources we had were far from [working on] actual Galaxy products. I'm pretty sure the same will happen for this one.

That's a uniform "no" from us.

Original Article

Doesn't affect my decision to buy/not buy this phone. There are plenty of other top notch working ROMs, but for casual flashers, think this is a problem?

Advertisement
  2. Shocky

Shocky On Probation

There are so many roms available I just don't think it matters, but I've never used CyanogenMod.

If they don't want to support a device that's going to sell over 50 million units in the next year then okay, I suspect they will change their minds though.

Not that I care. :)
  3. Poweranimals

Poweranimals Well-Known Member

I stopped reading after "Hacksung". Yeah, real professional.
  4. ExtremeNerd

Touche, good to see. I won't be buying this phone, but a lot of people will. And many people only know CM as the extent of their custom ROM experience.
  5. jackdubl

jackdubl Well-Known Member

As long as it's root-able and mod-able, and there are mods, I'll buy. Stock rooted works pretty well on the S3.
  6. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Is this not being real presumptuous for a phone that aint even out yet? I am surprised blogs have latched on to this "news". That said, I have not flashed a custom rom since the Incredible. The Razr and S3 have done great without them. I do use Nova, but that is it.
  7. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

Don't bother me one bit, I won't be running a custom ROM on this phone. Heck, I don't even plan on rooting it. I plan on keeping it stock.

My days of rooting and ROMing are behind me. I'm ready for something that just plain works after my year and a half of playing with my GNexus.
  8. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

I have flashed custom ROMs on almost every android device I've owned - primarily to enhance battery life and rid the device of bloatware. The one exception is my new Droid Razr HD, which I may never root. Battery life was 30+ hours out of the box and most of the bloatware can be disabled due to enhancements in recent versions of android.

That being said, I'm willing to bet they do change their minds when they see how the S4 sells. I couldn't live without CM on my Samsung Vibrant and htc Evo 4G.
  9. CyanogenMod isn't that good, it is so overrated.
  10. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Well-Known Member

Don't get the hype either :confused:
  11. Gearu

Gearu Well-Known Member

HTC will pay some people to make a sabotaged rom.
  12. B2L

B2L Well-Known Member

It's always been my favorite rom, I'm a big fan of theme chooser. I typically use modified versions of CM, stock CM can be a little boring. But once you start using roms like Paranoid Android, it makes a huge difference.
  13. ExtremeNerd

I agree, CM is overrated, but their team is amazing. Without it we wouldn't have much of AOKP either. They do fantastic work that helps the rest of the community.
  14. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Another negative consequence of no CM is that there are quite a few other roms that are based off CM code, so those developers would also not develop for the phone as well.