No d-pad / ball?

Last Updated:

1. hendrix04

hendrix04 New Member This Topic's Starter

So I don't see any type of Dpad / ball. What will this do for applications / games that require it? (Replica Island comes to mind)

Advertisement
  2. 10splaya22

10splaya22 Well-Known Member

I think its a waste of space on the incredible, i have never used it.

3. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

Yeah I never used mine either, but some people want them. I am glad that this phone doesn't have one, and either some games wont work without or the developer will have to update the game.

4. RadYOacTiVe

RadYOacTiVe Well-Known Member

Never use it on my Incredible either. I'd rather have the front facing camera taking up real estate on the phone.

5. tuanster1119

tuanster1119 Well-Known Member

Too bad the Droid X doesn't have one :(

6. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

I only used my optical trackpad if I had to get in between 2 letters. I assume I wont have to worry about that on the huge screen of the X.

7. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

Even on the Incredible I still was able to use the touch screen to fix mistakes. I guess it is all about personal preference.

8. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

I could do that but it was annoying when I couldn't get it to just the right spot.

9. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

Maybe Android could learn something from the BB Storm. On the Storm, when you click the text, it shows the cursor with two "handles" on either side that you can use to drag the cursor to wherever you want. It works pretty well.

10. curtisdr

curtisdr Well-Known Member

IMO...It's a waste of space because HTC did a crap job of size and placement of the optical trackpad.

11. DKYang

DKYang Well-Known Member

I don't know about the Replica Island game, but if the developer cared, then he/she should make it touch-friendly usable without a d-pad. Especially with a huge screen on the X.

12. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

I saw a video review of the Droid X and one thing that looked cool was a very iPhone like "magnifying glass" for text selection. I think it's about 3:45 into this video:

YouTube - Motorola DROID X review - part 2

This could, possibly, help with text selection in the absence of a dedicated trackball like we have on the Incredible.

nevergonnauseth and phobic like this.
  13. serpa4

serpa4 Well-Known Member

I'm worried also about not having a button/ball etc, BUT have never used it on my Inc either. Maybe wont be too bad?

14. ctxx24

ctxx24 Well-Known Member

I dont use mine unless iam using it for spacing between letters...i think i saw somewhere the x has these arrows..

15. phobic

phobic Well-Known Member

Finally. I've been waiting for this feature in an Android phone for quite some time. I'd expect something similar to be in Gingerbread but I'll take it on the Droid X now.

As far as the dpad/trackball goes, Ive used it maybe twice on my Droid and I never even bothered with it on the Incredible. It may have been nice when Android was just coming out but it's not needed anymore with pinch-to-zoom I'd say. Games... perhaps but I think we're going to see more manufacturers get away from dpads and trackballs except on QWERTY phones.

16. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member

I'd have to try really hard to get used to a phone without any method of precise cursor control. I use the d-pad on my Droid all the time when editing text. That's so much nicer than using my finger and stabbing around on the screen until I get the cursor where I want it.

17. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

I didn't either until someone told me you can place the cursor with it. WAAHOO. I hated trying to place it with my finger. I'm going to miss it:(

18. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Or how pointy your fingers are. :D Mine are blunt.