• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help NO DATA AGAIN...startung to get annoying

It seems that 5.9.901 may correct some of your problems. I have heard of no way to request a copy of 5.9.901. One estimate says it will be released in three days. Everyone else says they have no idea when it will be released.

You could install the leaked copy of 5.9.901 if you are willing to experiment. It might result in the need to do some corrective action if/when 5.9.901 is formally released. There is no way to know. The leaked version is unsupported. The released version is supported.

... Thom

Upvote 0
You know I was starting to have problems even on .901
So I started complaining to Verizon to little avail. They were willing to send me a new phone but I had a zagg screen so I didnt want that.

So I did some more digging and I found this little nugget.
Do a battery pull then take out the SD Card, and the SIM card.

Put the battery and the SD card back in. DO NOT PUT THE SIM CARD BACK IN!!

Power up the phone. make sure that everything has loaded. It tries to get signal but cant and then gives you a screen to insert the SIM card.

Power off Normally and Put the SIM card back in.

Power up phone and give it about 15 minutes and you should have a stable connection for at least 2 days to up to 3 Weeks.

Make sure if your in a weak 4g area to toggle your phone to CDMA only.
An easy way to do this is to download an app from the Market called 4g Toggle for RAZR: It Works great with its cousin the Bionic!!

https://market.android.com/details?...NvbS53bWJhLmFuZHJvaWQudG9nZ2xlNGdmb3JyYXpyIl0.:D

If this has help ya at all give me a little Thanks with the Thanks button. It is connected directly to my brain and gives me endorphins.

Upvote 0
I heavily rely on data for communication because I am deaf. And when I need to text someone or something like that and can't I get PO'd.

Just to ask the question: I had a Bionic for about ten days before exchanging it because of random data drops. I never noticed not receiving texts or calls myself when I dropped data, but I do know that text messages are not carried on the data network (MMS messages are, but SMS are not). Does the phone really not allow text messages when it randomly drops data? I know that you cannot do normal data services (web surfing, apps), but on a traditional 3G phone, text messages and voice calls are different.

I could gave sworn that I could call and text - it was just internet access that was lost. Perhaps I am remembering incorrectly, though...

Upvote 0
Unfortunately for me, data drops when transitioning between 1x & 3G before the 5.5.893 OTA were pretty rare. After .893 I can predict where on my daily commute I'm going to loose it. Airplane mode toggles usually bring it back, but it certainly is happening way more after the OTA. I just got a new Sim card last week but no improvement.

Patiently waiting for 901 to be a reality and hoping it does something.

Upvote 0
My Bionic is about 3 weeks new to me. On Verizon, purchased set new. I live in upstate NY in a city that has occasional 4g. And just came back from the Big Apple where 4g is everywhere. Having major data drop issues, including the data totally shutting down when my phone is asleep. Tried all the tricks, and was getting along with the airplane toggle trick to keep 4g going. Now I'm just really annoyed that I have to fiddle around with all these tricks and workarounds on what is supposed to be a state-of-the-art phone. I'm hoping the .902 update may help, but at this rate I may fire up my original Droid -- which was slow but reliable. Verizon/Motorola shouldn't have rolled these phones out if the infrastructure wasn't there to support them. Whining? You bet!

Upvote 0
It was a combination of problems on the tower-side and Bionic-side. Most of the tower-side problems seem to be mostly fixed. (I am in a 3G-only area and was dealing with data drops a half hour ago when I was doing some mobile Hotspot testing.)

5.9.901 was sent to a lot of people (I am not one of them) and the reports have been simply great.

The S-I-N-G-L-E article on 5.9.902 going to the testers has been referenced by 50-100 other sites and there is no further information available.

If you look at the time between 5.5.886 and 5.5.893 and apply that to the next release (5.9.902?) you will conclude that it will come out March 15, 2012 (Ides of March).

If you can't wait and must have reliable data you have two choices ...

-- Install the 5.9.901 OTA leak and hope it is on the upgrade path to 5.9.902 (see ... 5.9.901 Leaked OTA Install)

-- Revert to a 3G phone until it all settles down

I am waiting for the next release, am 100% stock 5.5.893, and have tried (with no apparent success) to volunteer for future soak tests.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Good advice Thom. I'm trying to be patient waiting for the OTA fix. What makes it so frustrating is that when the 4G kicks in and is behaving, the Bionic is amazing!! Knowing its potential makes me impatient. But I guess there are bigger problems in the world and this is a minor annoyance. Thanks for all your helpful posts throughout the Bionic threads.

Upvote 0
I've got you beat ...

When I got my Bionic on release day I was told we would be getting 4G in Keene at the beginning of the year.

I stopped by and asked yesterday ... they are now saying December.

Yes ... stupid me ... when they said "beginning of the year" I should have asked "what year"?

I have LTE enabled and get data drops on 3G.

... Thom

After 4 Bionics I got sick of this and threatened to move all 5 of my lines to Sprint.

My new Razr will be here tomorrow. ;)

If I were you I would use this to your advantage to get a new phone like I did. BTW - Tech Support will give a you new type of phone before a store will. The store told me no, tech support asked what kind of phone I would like.

Upvote 0
I've got you beat ...

When I got my Bionic on release day I was told we would be getting 4G in Keene at the beginning of the year.

I stopped by and asked yesterday ... they are now saying December.

Yes ... stupid me ... when they said "beginning of the year" I should have asked "what year"?

I have LTE enabled and get data drops on 3G.

... Thom

Quick question. Do you get drops when you have LTE disabled?

I know I did, that's why I ask.

Upvote 0
Yes.

It was rock solid for a Little more than a month. Yesterday it started emulating a yo-yo.

... Thom

These issues just don't make sense.

I just don't understand why they would release a phone with this major issue. I first thought it was a handshake or handoff issue with the transition between a 3G/4G area, but after disabling 4G on my phone and the problem still persisting, I'm inclined to think that the phone was released with a major software bug.

I hope you are correct with your guesstimation on the release of the update. But even with your optimistic release date, that is still over a month away with issues. I just can't wait 45 days.

I hope I can see you post very soon that the issues are fixed and you can be the first to tell me I should have waited. :)

Upvote 0
Same problem. Every day it seems. Some days worse than others. The signal in this phone is horrible. My daughter sits there with her iPhone and always has a connection when I don't.

I traveled to Wisconsin over xmas and was in a remote area. All droid (models other than bionic) and iPhone users had data connections and I only had it maybe 15-20% of my entire trip.

This could be my last Motorola ever. I am 0-2 at this point.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones