No data connection while on a call?Support

Last Updated:

1. XOS THW

XOS THW Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is this new? When I'm in a call over a month ago, I was able to check on the traffic in the maps app..but now when i try to do that, i get the message "connection data lost" and therefore am not able to check the traffic until I am done with my call.

I search and didn't come up with any in call answers.

Advertisement
  2. Slick1020

Slick1020 Banned

You need to have 4G active in order to do data while you are on a call. Or you must be on Wifi. 3G cannot give you voice and data at the same time. A GSM network can do it but not a Sprint/Verizon CDMA network until you add in 4G or Wifi.

XOS THW likes this.
  3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

XOS THW likes this.
  4. XOS THW

XOS THW Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

That's interesting, I swear I thought I use to be able to do in with 3g. Sure 4g is in my area but I don't usually like to stand in the middle of streets to get its signal.

My friend with an old Iphone is able to do it...so we should be able to.

Thanks guys!

5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

AT&T is a different sort of network.

6. lillygirl7

lillygirl7 Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing glad you brought this up. I cannot connect while on the phone anymore either.

7. Slick1020

Slick1020 Banned

I rarely use 3G voice paired with WiFi or 4G. However, I was surfing the net while on a call yesterday. I wonder how many AT&T customers actually need the ability to talk and text at the same time.

8. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

There is a difference between talk and text, and data and talk. It is possible to text and talk, but my not work 100% all the time. But you can not do data and talk. Texting does not use data. It uses the same radio and same frequency, but at a 90 degree modulation to send the text. Data uses the same radio at a different frequency. Which makes it impossible.

9. paynekiller

paynekiller Active Member

Well I've been having this problem ever since I updated to Froyo, I'll be browsing with wifi or whatever then when a call comes in it halts the data connection and turns off the wifi, the icon even disappears from the bar at the top.
    Now I find this only happens sometimes, I've tried testing it a couple times and I can continue browsing sometimes and other times especially if it's an incoming call it turns off wifi (well really I receive more calls than I make so it's probably just random).

Before the froyo update I would never lose my wifi connection while in a call.

10. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

I just made a call while wifi surfing, including watching an uploaded video off this forum, and I had the music app playing as well. By the way, weird hearing 3 audio sources running at the same time on top of each other (gotta love multitasking on this phone).

Evo cannot do data and calls at the same time due to the radio. If you try, you will likely get the call connected and then have it begin to freeze or skip audio. My data just freezes though and does not complete the connection. If you're on 3G data connection, the phone allows you to accept the call, but it stops data, or continue data and send call to VM.

Will have to try while driving some time. I have used GoogleNav and gotten a call before and both the call and continuous Nav took place simultaneously. That was before I updated to Froyo, but I don't see why that would matter. Also seems like there might be a workaround for Nav since it's the one time when data + call truly makes sense, right?

GSM's better than CDMA for data + calls though. Just have to live with ATT or TMo, and it's not worth it.

11. kayst

kayst Well-Known Member

I think Nav works during a call because when it computes the route it downloads all (most?) of the info it needs so it's already on the phone. If you go off your route while on a call I'm thinking it won't be able to reroute until you hang up.

12. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Hmmm? Wonder how it kept a pretty good bead on my location? I wasn't traveling at a constant rate of speed by any means (195 east in NJ on a Friday evening with some shorebound traffic).

SprintNav worked the same. I tested both on the same trip shortly after I got my Evos. :confused:

13. Vincent Law

Vincent Law Well-Known Member

GPS doesn't need data to function. The navigation apps download your route when you first begin. As long as you do not deviate from your route planned, the GPS will follow you along and keep track of you.