No decent holsters?

Last Updated:

1. bwsmith

bwsmith Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Are there still no decent holsters for the Droid? Side opening holsters don't work for me because I can't get the phone out in the car, have to rotate them to get my keys out of my pocket, and have a hard time getting it out at all. The only top opening holster that I found is a generic $10 one from Target, but it is open top with no way to secure the phone. I just picked up the snap in holster from Verizon which is an epic fail. The battery cover keeps coming off the phone anytime I bump against something, the hinge digs into my hip, and the clip is too far down so the phone sits too high. The BodyGlove looks nice, but then it wont fit into the dock.

I really like the top opening style but have yet to find one. Anyone find a decent one? This is amazingly frustrating.

Advertisement
  2. XtremeAaron

XtremeAaron Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean, but did you try this one? I have it and it works well for me.

[​IMG]

3. Thoraldus

Thoraldus Well-Known Member

I have the Motorola designed holster. Works great and protects the Droid from damage if dropped.

[​IMG]

4. Terrantula

Terrantula Member

Have not seen that holster. Where did you purchase it from?

5. bwsmith

That Verizon holster is the one on my hip right now and it is HORRIBLE. The clip is too low so it puts the phone too far up, the hinge is too large and pokes my hip, and by facing in the battery door keeps getting knocked off.

The Motorola one looks great but it looks like a skin so it won't fit in the dock.

6. Thoraldus

Takes about 2 seconds to pop the back skin off to dock and 2 seconds to pop it back on. Not an issue for me. ;)

7. bwsmith

Cool. may have to try it. Where can I pick one up? It is worth a shot at least.

8. Thoraldus

9. Thoraldus

10. kkwan77

kkwan77 Well-Known Member

VZW has a nice leather pouch holster on their website, this is also a posted thread on here. Do a search for holster......

11. Thoraldus

It should be noted that this Shell/Holster combo is a beast. definitely not light weight or svelte. More like mil-spec armor. It will bulk up the Droid. Looks right at home on my duty belt. ;)

I do like the swivel clip on it. You can swing it out of the way as needed.

12. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

I love the swivel for sitting and hands free videos from the hip (sounds muffled)

13. CatsTide

CatsTide Well-Known Member

14. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

I have found that clipping the holsters to my pocket usually makes it easier to get stuff in and out of my pockets versus being on my belt. Plus I'm fat and my stomach gets in the way when I clip it to my belt.

15. bwsmith

For $9 I went ahead and ordered the shell. It is worth a shot. I didn't see a top loading leather on Verizon's site, only the side loaders.

16. Thoraldus

At $9 I think I will order 1 or 2 extras - it's a tough environment out here in the boonies. No telling when I might break the clip on this puppy. :D

17. crankerchick

crankerchick Well-Known Member

seidio makes great holsters that swivel and lock. i don't have the holster for my droid yet, still debating what i want this go, but i have always used them in the past for my holsters and have never been disappointed. Their clips seem to actually be in the right place and the lock is great. Don't want it vertical, swivel it horizontal and it will stay put.

18. Les Common

Les Common Well-Known Member

I'm using the top-opening Blackberry holster that my telecom guy gave me for my old LG Voyager a couple of years ago. (ah, Voyager, bluetooth call initiation, slightly nostalgic sniff...but the browser ended up major fail, so onward)

No strap or anything on the top, but the device stays securely put. I have increased the Droid's external coefficient of friction a bit with a Zagg Full Body, with strips of the unwanted too-draggy screen portion deployed around the outer bezel, which does help keep it from slipping either out of the holster or my hand.

Modded? Oh yeah, had to do a magnetectomy lest the Droid freak out into batterysucking dock mode. Easy to do- one small incision, and the magnet wriggled right out. Scar hardly noticable on the ventral surface of the holster.

-les

19. cooverdj

cooverdj New Member

I'm with bwsmith! I absolutely HATE the sideways holster--everytime the phone rings, I pull it out and hit the power button which jacks everything up. By far the best leather holster that I've found is my Blackberry holster left over from my previous phone. It's the perfect size, is well made, has a strap to secure the phone, is widely available and has a slim clip. The only problem is the magnet on the inside of the holster (nearest the wearer's hip) sends the DROID into dock mode. I would be DEEPLY grateful if someone out there has cut into one of Blackberry's holsters and can advise me on how to perform a magnet-ectomy.

20. smoke14fan

smoke14fan New Member

I got a nice top load at sams club velcro closer $16.99 holds the belt nice.Im in and out of a truck all day its worked out well for me

21. bwsmith

I got my OEM shell and case yesterday. This works pretty well. The back snaps off and snaps back on pretty easy so I can use the dock. So far my only complaints are that it is a little slick in the hand and that my shirt keeps getting hung when putting it back int he holster. But so far it is the best one I have found.