• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Dell Streak sale in July, spokesman says..

Computerworld - The 5-inch Dell Streak tablet won't go on sale by the end of July, a spokesman said late Tuesday. That announcement came after Dell earlier in the day mistakenly posted an online message on its Web site that customers could return to the site Wednesday to purchase the device.
"It was a mistake, and we took that information down this morning," said spokesman Matt Parretta in a telephone interview. "I can say definitely that the Dell Streak won't go on sale in July."
Parretta noted that Dell said in May that the device would go on sale sometime this summer.

JUST GREAT! WHO IS STILL GOING TO WAIT?

The Dell pre sale sign up still says late July????????

At this point I no longer believe ANYTHING said by anyone from Dell, including this "no sales in July" BS.

I will wait to see the device go on sale and buy it from Wal-Mart, BB or Wirefly.com but have no faith in Dell to ever get there act together.

Even after this announcements, there were others that still said it would be on sale tomorrow. Because there systems and people don't seem to talk to each other, I wouldn't doubt that some of us might get the "email" in the near future and then be told when we call or go online, "Sorry, we still have our heads up our a$$, come back later" :thinking:

Upvote 0
They should have published a price before putting up the link. If they don't have enough inventory to meet the (theoretical at this point) demand, they should fess up and spin it for free press.

We're just asking for more transparency. And having different people saying/publishing conflicting information is just amateurish. That's even worse than no information at all.

Upvote 0
The reason for the delay is that the Streak is the most successful pre-sale device that the computer maker has ever offered, according to Dell blogger Lionel Menchaca. "There are many pieces that need to fall into place to release a product like this, and the reality is that we need more time to work out some things," Menchaca wrote Monday.

SOURCE

Upvote 0
there isnt any problems with it. after all its out here in the UK so i suspect this is likely a supplier/stock level issue rather than a hardware fault issue

That's a somewhat rose-tinted view. Visit any Streak forum and you will see the opposite is true, e.g.

Loss of 3g signal
Constant vibrate bug
Random power-offs/resets
Case trim coming off
Internal LCD cracking

That latter is the most worrying design fault. Seems the LCD panel is rammed up hard against the "protective" Gorilla glass. You only have to apply light pressure to the glass corners to see the LCD beneath give severe distortion patterns. So the slightest drop, twist, shock or distortion to the case results can result in fracture of the very fragile LCD panel (with everything else remaining intact), and there are plenty of examples where this has happened even without being dropped.

My suspicion (or hope) is that Dell are delaying launch so that they can tweak the design to address some of these issues in light of returns from the UK "beta test". Warranty returns and repairs are expensive and I'm sure the USA "class action" consumer base would not stand for something so prone to failure. Dell already have enough brand damage from class actions over faulty laptops to risk such a move. They already let slip that the US release would include some minor hardware changes - I hope for all our sakes that includes better shock absorbtion for the screen!

Upvote 0
It would appear that whatever stopped the sale happened in between the pre-order link being put up and the current non-availability of the phone. Most of the issues you listed should have been caught prior.

I'm more inclined to believe in supply issues (way short supply, cargo ship sunk, not enough BT headsets) , or AT&T last-minute dealings (late demand to push date). Something unforeseen. Maybe even something related to the Aero.

Upvote 0
That's a somewhat rose-tinted view. Visit any Streak forum and you will see the opposite is true, e.g.

Loss of 3g signal
Constant vibrate bug
Random power-offs/resets
Case trim coming off
Internal LCD cracking

That latter is the most worrying design fault. Seems the LCD panel is rammed up hard against the "protective" Gorilla glass. You only have to apply light pressure to the glass corners to see the LCD beneath give severe distortion patterns. So the slightest drop, twist, shock or distortion to the case results can result in fracture of the very fragile LCD panel (with everything else remaining intact), and there are plenty of examples where this has happened even without being dropped.

My suspicion (or hope) is that Dell are delaying launch so that they can tweak the design to address some of these issues in light of returns from the UK "beta test". Warranty returns and repairs are expensive and I'm sure the USA "class action" consumer base would not stand for something so prone to failure. Dell already have enough brand damage from class actions over faulty laptops to risk such a move. They already let slip that the US release would include some minor hardware changes - I hope for all our sakes that includes better shock absorbtion for the screen!

that's a somewhat negative view. If you actually bother to ask the majority who post on the forums you'll find its very few people who are actually experiencing those issues. I can say I've only had the vibrate thing once and haven't experiencing the rest. Im not surprised by the LCD cracking thing due to its size though and the fact that just about any phone breaks if you drop it.

I read these forums, the modaco ones, and the xda ones for the streak. And its only the minority that seem to have these issues.

Like anything people never tell you when things are going fine they only say when they are breaking. so generally you only ever see negative posts.

Upvote 0
that's a somewhat negative view. If you actually bother to ask the majority who post on the forums you'll find its very few people who are actually experiencing those issues. I can say I've only had the vibrate thing once and haven't experiencing the rest. Im not surprised by the LCD cracking thing due to its size though and the fact that just about any phone breaks if you drop it.

I read these forums, the modaco ones, and the xda ones for the streak. And its only the minority that seem to have these issues.

Like anything people never tell you when things are going fine they only say when they are breaking. so generally you only ever see negative posts.
I don't deny that those having problems may be in the minority. But that's not the same as making false claims like "there isnt any problems with it" (sic). Given the small distribution of Streaks so far compared to other large screen devices, and the short time they have been out in the wild, the number of reported screen fractures alone is worrying - especially as the total lack of shock protection between the outer and inner glass is proven by the "corner press" test. Even the meticulously careful paul@modaco had his inner glass shatter just by picking it up off a desk.

Upvote 0
Have you actually owned one? Im guessing not and that you're just basing your info on tittle tattle you've read on forums. You need to get your facts correct.

Firstly, its not "outer and inner glass". its the glass and the lcd screen. when people have had issues its the lcd screen itself thats shattered.

Secondly Pauls was just defective. every handset has defective ones.

Thirdly. Most posts I've read of screen breaks have been because people have *shock horror* dropped it. heres a news flash. if you drop things they may break. its been the same with every phone. Yea bigger devices maybe more susceptible to that because of the increased stress on the larger screen.

Bottom line you just seem here to slag the thing off so I wouldn't bother listening to him guys. Every handset has issues. Every handset will have some that go out with QC issues. That wont ever be avoided. But at the end of the day both myself, 2 of my friends, and 3 guys I work with have one of these and none of us have experienced the issues that hes claiming are so wide spread.

All of us bought our handsets at different times from different stores so we dont have phones from the same batch. So dont be fooled into thinking by this person that theres some major issues with this phone. Like any phone it has its quirks but they arent as bad as hes making out.

anyway thats the last Im going to say on the subject as you obviously are dead set on believing that theres some mortal issues with the handset.

Upvote 0
You need to get your facts correct.
Well since we're dealing with "facts"...

Have you actually owned one? Im guessing not and that you're just basing your info on tittle tattle you've read on forums.
Yes I own one.

Rhysd2 said:
Firstly, its not "outer and inner glass". its the glass and the lcd screen.
It may be news to you but the LCD screen is made of glass too. Very thin, rigid and fragile glass. And the LCD panel rests directly against the outer (Gorilla) glass with no buffer zone - as the corner pressure test proves. Even Engadget US' glowing review acknowledges that potential flaw:
That said, we did have a couple concerns; first, the plastic caps that sit on either side of the display had a tendency to creak when pressed, particularly the top one where the earpiece and front-facing camera are located. That's not a big deal since you don't really have a valid reason to be pressing too hard on these parts of the phone, but a bigger concern lies with the display itself: pressing on it with anything more than a light touch causes some LCD rippling around the edges, a sign that it's taking more stress than it should.

Rhysd2 said:
when people have had issues its the lcd screen itself thats shattered.
No. People have had both inner glass (LCD panel) and outer (Gorilla) glass shatter - independently and together.

Rhysd2 said:
Secondly Pauls was just defective. every handset has defective ones.... ...bigger devices maybe more susceptible to that because of the increased stress on the larger screen.
So the "fact" is that problems with some Streaks do exist, and by your own admission the Streak is more susceptible to failure due to its design.

Which is at odds with your original claim that there weren't any problems at all (and we haven't even started on software issues) - a totally unrealistic view which was the sole point of my challenge.

Neither can you put blame for the failures solely at the door of clumsy users or the screen size - I've had plenty of 5"+ screen devices before (HTC Advantage, N770/800/810 etc) and none were as fragile as this.

The other fact is, that Dell could have made protection better, and the device much more robust, by providing better shock absorption (e.g. by not pressing the LCD hard up against the outer glass so that any stress or impact is transferred directly to the weakest part).

Rhysd2 said:
Bottom line you just seem here to slag the thing off so I wouldn't bother listening to him guys..
As a potential buyer I would rather listen to a realistic view than to someone who claims a device does not have any problems or tries to brush obvious design flaws under the carpet (we get enough of that from so-called 'independent' reviews). Only then could I decide whether the device really suited my needs or avoid an expensive mistake.

Rhysd2 said:
.. none of us have experienced the issues that hes claiming are so wide spread.
Read the opening sentence in my last post. I don't deny that those having problems may be in the minority.

Rhysd2 said:
anyway thats the last Im going to say on the subject as you obviously are dead set on believing that theres some mortal issues with the handset.
No, fact is I love my Streak. But I bought it for what it was intended - a data-centric tablet which can occasionally be used for voice. I think it only fair to point out that it is not built, nor designed, to take the daily rigueur of a normal, go anywhere, mobile phone (even from a relatively careful user). Unlike someone who claims there are no problems and dismisses genuine user experiences as forum "tittle tattle". I see nothing wrong with making the potential pitfalls clear so that anyone planning to use it as such is aware of the shortcomings and so goes into the deal with their eyes open.

I hope you and your friends' Streaks survive as much as I do my own - but bear in mind to some extent we're still running alpha hardware (as in pre-US beta), and if you buy on O2 contract, 2 years is a long time for any mobile device to survive scathe-free.

And to anyone else reading this - let's get this back into perspective - for all its flaws the Streak is still an amazing device; just treat it with care and get it insured!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones