No Dev Phone 1's available?

Last Updated:

1. Art Smart

Art Smart Member This Topic's Starter

I downloaded the developer SDK, and it's now unzipping on another PC. I already paid my $25 to register with the Android Market, and I was all set to buy an Android Dev Phone 1. However, none are in stock right now.

I could buy a T-Mobile G1 later today, but will I be able to do any app development on it at all? In other words, is the Dev Phone 1 the only platform for any app development, or is it the preferred platform to be able to do development even down at the root level?

Should I wait and buy a MyTouch next week? Will there be a MyTouch Dev Phone available soon?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I really want to get rid of my Blackberry and buy an Android phone, but only if I can use it to tinker with app development. Thanks for a quick answer, because my wife really wants me to buy a phone today if possible.
    --- Art

Advertisement
  2. danglr09

danglr09 Well-Known Member

yes you should be able to use a regular g1 or mytouch.
    the only difference in the dev phones are they are unbranded and unlocked

3. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

Simplest thing to do is just buy the regular G1, Root it and install a rooted ADP1 based build there are many to choose from.... Then essentially the only difference will be the casing...

4. Art Smart

Art Smart Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, guys. The wife and I just got back from T-Mobile with our new G1's. Love them so far. Glad to be completely ridded of our crappy Blackberries. RIM shall never get another dime out of us.

5. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

well welcome and if you do decide you want to root and go with the ADP1 build let us know...