No Digital Compass - Implications???General

Last Updated:

1. shameek

shameek New Member

I read from the online reviews that this mobile does NOT have a digital compass/magnetometer! :(

Does it mean that turn-by-turn navigation won't work with this mobile??? I don't use it lot, but I do use an app called Digital Compass to check out directions.

I would assume that this would NOT work with this mobile.

Am I right?

2. CafeKampuchia

CafeKampuchia Well-Known Member

I don't know if it means that turn-by-turn navigation wouldn't work because the GPS could still provide directional data. But Digital Compass definitely won't work.

It's a great device besides.
  3. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

I agree, I think that turn by turn will still work. Pretty sure the old blackberry didn't have a compass, but turn by turn navigation still worked.

I'm guessing applications like SkyMap won't work as well though. Probably will have to use the manual scroll mode for that particular one.
  4. fauxtronic

fauxtronic Active Member

Yeah, Google Sky Map will require you to align the screen with the sky yourself, so the lack of a digital compass ruins the augmented reality aspect of the app. Who knows what other apps we now take for granted will be affected?

Lack of digital compass, reports of performance problems and the non-removable battery killed the deal for me and I ended up ordering a Galaxy W instead.
  5. Jimmyboy

Jimmyboy Member

I do not see any issues with turn by turn navigation (Non Voice).
    CafeKampuchia likes this.
  6. CafeKampuchia

CafeKampuchia Well-Known Member

Btw, this phone has an excellent GPS. It can find 8-9 satellites downstairs in my cement house when my other devices see only 1-2.