No donut or eclair for eve

Last Updated:

1. daxproductions

daxproductions Member This Topic's Starter

posted on lg_620 on twitter when asked about upgrades:

Advertisement
  2. peter goesinya

peter goesinya Member

What kind of upgrades specifically did you inquire about?

3. daxproductions

someone asked them if they were going to be doing a software update to 1.6 or 2.0.

4. vinnybobdog

vinnybobdog Member

I called LG to ask if the eve aka gw620 would get an android update to 2.0 and reps exact words were "uuhhhhhh.. yeah...at the start of December"

I stressed the point again and the agent confirmed the update would be coming at the start of December. Sensing this wasnt accurate I emailed lg the following:

Good day,

I was interested in purchasing a pair of LG Eve (aka GW620) for my wife and I. It appears the handset will come with version 1.5 of the Android OS. Because Google has released Android V2.0, I wanted to know if Rogers and LG were planning to make this update available to GW620 Users?

Katie Watson, a Google spokeswoman was recently quoted as saying "Because Android is open source, all software updates we release are available for carriers and handset makers to take and update their current or future Android-powered devices"

Thank you for your feedback,

Their answer:

Hello

Thank you for contacting LG Customer service. We are here to help provide you with the answers or guidance you need. If you require further assistance please submit a new request or contact customer service at 1-888-542-2623.

Unfortunately the current version will not be updated on the phone.

Regards
    LG Canada

Verbally its a yes, written its a big no...and Rogers wont confirm either way.

Although I've decided to go ahead with picking it up anyone considering the the eve may want to consider a wait and see approach if the update to 2.0 is important...

5. daxproductions

Yes, I just received the same email from them as well.

Mine arrived today. If I'm unhappy with it I guess I'll return it and get a magic.

6. vinnybobdog

vinnybobdog Member

Thanks for the update Dax,

Let me know your thoughts one you get to mess with it for a while. Myself I just haven't gathered enough information to know if this is a deal breaker.

Anyone else with an opinion on the non update status for the gw620/eve, chime on in!

7. Zacpod

Zacpod New Member

I talked to Rogers as well about a firmware upgrade. They said "Ummm, no, the phone just came out so it has the most recent updates already."
    Even after I explained that Android 2.0 was available, the rep stated that there would be no updates anytime soon.

Also - LG Canada are the least helpful tech support I've ever talked to. I spent 30 mins on the phone with them trying to get them to answer a few simple questions for me and they just kept saying "LG manufactures the hardware, for any software questions you'll have to talk to Rogers - we don't install any software on the phone, we just make the hardware"

I've been trying to root the phone with very little success. Asroot/Asroot2 don't work, and the CVE-2009-3547 exploit seems to be patched in this kernel. :(

Also, the method that the Samsung Moment uses doesn't work. The only suid progs on the phone are:
    -rwxr-sr-x root net_raw 26628 2009-10-28 04:59 ping
    -rwxr-sr-x root inet 5616 2009-10-28 04:59 netcfg
    -rwsr-sr-x root root 9552 2009-10-28 04:59 procmem
    -rwsr-sr-x root root 9700 2009-10-28 04:59 librank
    -rwsr-s--- root root 76224 2009-10-28 04:59 su
    -rwsr-sr-x root root 9600 2009-10-28 04:59 procrank
    so we can't use the same method the Moment uses. *sigh*

:confused:

8. Andy2010

Andy2010 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Rogers. Take a look at this thread
    http://androidforums.com/t-mobile-g1/10647-rogers-dream-1-6-update.html

9. enkoopa

enkoopa New Member

I seriously hope this phone gets some love. Until the DROID/MILESTONE comes out with north american gsm bands, this phone is king for those of us who enjoy the touchscreen+keyboard combination.

It's a real tragedy that these phones allow themselves to be locked down. Gone are the days of updating your firmware, maybe, every 12 months, like in the Nokia S40 days. These are *smart* phones.

Google should force the hand of manufacturers of the phones to always allow software updates, regardless of the BS carriers.

10. Zacpod

Zacpod New Member

I think the only way to get a non-locked down phone is to get the google dev phone, or the geeksphone one. It's a crappy situation as I don't really want either of those phones - though the One is pretty close...
    Maybe when the new "Google phone" comes out it will become the new dev phone - though from what I've seen it doesn't have a keyboard, and I hate on-screen keyboards, so that's a deal killer. It really sucks that phone makers don't make unlocked phones for enthusiasts. It's a niche market, but hitting it has worked well for Linksys with their WRT54GL line of routers. Maybe some phone dev will do the same thing. All we really need is an open bootloader/flasher, and the community will run with it!

11. TheAnswerIs42

TheAnswerIs42 New Member

Ive been browsin around different forums lookin for progress being made on rooting the LG eve and i stumbled across a guy on a forum on xda that seems to be makin some headway. this is the link to his thread for anyone who wants to keep an eye on his progress or maybe offer him some advice:
    LG GW620 Eve/Etna (Trying to root android and failing) - xda-developers