• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [T-Mobile] No Download Mode

Rennfield

May 20, 2011
PA
Ok so like everyone else I want to root my G2 to add whatever nifty bells and whistles I want and use whatever Custom Roms I want but I currently have the 4.4.2 version installed. I was told that in order to root I would need to downgrade to 4.2.2. Sounds easy enough since I've downgraded and rooted and flashed all my android phones in the past, so I did some searching and came up with several promising results. I would start downloading all the files I needed then look over the steps and each of the first 5 I came across said I needed download mode. I looked up how to enter download mode and tried several times including once with the USB plugged into the charger but could not get in, hence the title of the post. So I looked up my issue and each result said that the bootloader needed to be downgraded so that I could enter download mode, so now enters Autorec. Downloaded the apk, installed, then noticed the guide I was looking at said that the phone needed to be rooted. So now I have a paradox it seems, I have to be rooted to downgrade my OS, I have to have download mode to downgrade, I have to use Autorec to be able to get back into download mode, but I have to be rooted to use Autorec. I tried using Autorec without rooting but all it came back with was failed to install loki_tool try manually installing loki after 30 mins.

I have the T-Mobile D801 with developer mode enabled, 3.4.0 Kernel, D80120g Software version. If anyone could crack this one I'd be eternally grateful.

Quick side note, I started off this entire process using IORoot25.

I work in tech support so i do understand wanting to make sure someone is following basic troubleshooting techniques. For purposes of this thread you may assume that I've done everything I can and followed all basic and advanced troubleshooting techniques and am also very competent. I am grateful for any help I can get.

Upvote 0
Lol I just came in to tell you that I was finally able to root by using Stump Root only to find you posted about it. I found it by using the software version in my search string then found the xda forum post starting it had to be brute forced. I think I'll write a guide for this whole experience. Thank you though, had I not found it that informant would have been most helpful.

Upvote 0
Ok so I was able to successfully root and flash SlimRoms 5.0. For once I'm actually excited to get into using an updated version of the Android OS. I'll post a full step-by-step guide for anyone else having the same issue I was. Most of the info seems to be scattered all over the internet and not all in once place. I'll get all this info in one place.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones