No Exchange Company Directory, VPN failsSupport

Last Updated:

1. androx

androx New Member This Topic's Starter

Just brought home a Sprint Samsung Galaxy Tab. Waited to add 3G data plan since the BB rep could not access the corporate account - so flying with WiFi only for now. 1st issue - no MS Exchange Company Directory lookup in email app. This became avail on my HTC Incredible with the Froyo 2.2, so why not on the Tab? For a corporate test this is a red flag. Also - VPN access failed. This could be the result of updates to our network but I am hitting the network through a MS ISA server that currently allows the iPad to connect, and allows HTC Incredible if on WiFi (Verizon 3G breaks VPN currently). Anyone else trying VPN I would be let me know your results, especially if you are connecting with Sprint 3G.

Overall I really like the size - thought I would hate it after living with an iPad for a while but for couch surfing this is way better in terms of managing the device and sitting comfortably. I can actually hold it with two hands and type with my thumbs - big plus for me. No need for balancing on my lap and the little flip stand leather case is more in my way than useful. So there is a decent tradeoff for screen size. The iPad is a little smoother around the edges in terms of interface and browser performance, but not by much. The screen desnity is good so I am not missing the samoled that I was hoping Samsung would use.

Advertisement
  2. jamesk84

jamesk84 Well-Known Member

I completely agree with your ipad sediments. I always thought the ipad was heavy and that was a downfall. Now that I have the tab I see the ipad getting less and less travel time. I love the size and screen on the tab.

As far as exchange goes I would recommended downloading touchdown. IMO it is leaps and bounds better than the native exchange client (on my Droid X) and works perfectly on the tab. On the tab in landscape mode you get a slick outlook like interface.

I'm not sure about your VPN but I used logmein to remote to my work pc this morning.

3. cultldr

cultldr Well-Known Member

VZW tab here, VPN does not work on PPTP or L2TP (pre-shared key), called vzw just to see what they would say and they were completely baffled. lol

My X connects perfectly with those protocols so I know they work and I am the admin. VZW's support tried right off the bat to say I really should talk to the admin and when I told them that was me and I am connecting with numerous devices and this is the only one failing he just said he didn't know and then asked if he answered all my questions.

I am using LOGMEIN as well on my tab and phone for testing purposes but really would like to get vpn working so I can play with Astro's SMB etc.

4. mysticwolf33

mysticwolf33 New Member

I also have problems with VPN. I also called Verizon. They claim they haven't gotten any other calls saying they have problems, but I have found a few other postings on the internet saying otherwise. Verizon did work with me quite extensively to try to figure out if it was a setting anywhere on their infrastructure. They couldn't find anything and were troubled as I am able to connect just fine with my Droid. They finally said I would have to call Samsung directly. I have gotten in touch with Samsung, but as of yet haven't heard anything back.

cultldr likes this.
  5. cultldr

cultldr Well-Known Member

Keep us up on this if you can if they have a resolution or just a statement of it doesn't work. I am sure it will have to be an update but as a test I used a Fascinate from a friend of mine and same result. L2TP will not work even tho it does on my X and a Droid 1. Samsung has something wrong with their flavor of 2.1 update 1 and 2.2 on the Tab, I wouldn't think it was a VZW issue since my other VZW Android phones work fine?

6. mysticwolf33

mysticwolf33 New Member

I still haven't heard back from Samsung. As for it working on other devices...i have the original droid phone and I can connect just fine with vpn. I would like it to work on my Tab because of the bigger screen. I actually bought the Tab specifically for this purpose. The only reason it hasn't gone back to the store is that I have found it so handy for so many things. It would be absolutely perfect for a first generation product if they could fix the vpn issue!

7. oldpueblo

oldpueblo Member

I had a pleasant surprise yesterday. I was also lamenting the lack of a corporate lookup, but as I was typing in the To: field of the e-mail app it started popping down results pulled directly from my corporate exchange directory. See if it works for you.

8. razacbq

razacbq New Member

I don't know how, seems you got lucky, please explain how you do that?

9. Mr. Link

Mr. Link Well-Known Member

Has anyone got VPN working on this device yet? I've tried everything. PPTP, LPTP, LPTP PSK...no luck. It works fine on my Droid Incredible.

10. rami325

rami325 New Member

how can i add a vpn? i tried but it didn't work
    i'm in an unsupported country with the android market, so i want to add the vpn for that reason.

thank you

Hussam mansour likes this.
  11. dgt02

dgt02 New Member

I think VPN problems are well known by Samsung. I have emailed Samsung support twice inquiring for my registered Galaxy Tab wifi version and they have not responded so I'm considering returning the tab and getting an ipad. Apple support is first rate. Samsung won't even respond!