No Facebook???

1. isaemm

isaemm Well-Known Member

Who has never had a Facebook account and why not? I have never had one myself cuz I just never got around to creating an account, and then now I just don't see the point. I don't need to update my every move or know what other people are up to.

Advertisement
    :
  2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

i do not use it very often. but, it is nice to keep in touch with friends that you do not see on a daily basis. it is also cool to share things that you see on the net with friends. and i agree that it is annoying how some will update every little thing that they do. But that is me. However, if Facebook was to get shut down I will not miss it.
  3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

I've considered deleting mine numerous times. Its nothing but meaningless stuff on there usually
    9to5cynic likes this.
  4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Never had one. Never wanted one.
  5. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

don't have one
  6. treb1797

treb1797 Well-Known Member

Who needs Facebook when you have Android Forums :thumb:
    Russ71 likes this.
  7. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Well-Known Member

i literally spent years looking for certain friends. Years and years. Google was no help, nor was Bing. So I setup a FB account and three of my lost friends contacted me within a few days.

As I played around, I would get notices that so and so knows this person or that person. so I have found long lost friends on FB.

I think FB is good for certain things and as long as you do not live and die by FB, it can be of benefit.

Same thing happened when I set up a linked-in account, by the way.

I see great value in sites like FB and there is nothing that says you must update it every day; that is why we have Twitter.
    SlayersRage likes this.
  8. danaj

danaj Well-Known Member

I have a Facebook account, and I like it so that I can keep tabs on long lost friends and family. I made my mother an account a few years ago so that we could keep in touch better, and I could show her pictures of my life. She lives across the country from me, and if she didn't have facebook, every time she wanted pictures I would have had to get them printed, and mail them to her, which would never happen. So, I like facebook, so that my mom doesn't think I am dead in a gutter somewhere, and she can see the pics to prove it. The funny thing is that she is on it more than me by far, she absolutely loves it.
  9. alsaces daddy

alsaces daddy Well-Known Member

I keep it for new friends and family I can't see anymore as I'm 1350 miles away from home.
  10. Shinji01

Shinji01 Well-Known Member

I made one, had no friends using it as it was not so big yet in japan (mixi was cooler), so deleted it.
    Then it aught on in Japan so I rejoined.

I agree that FB is more annoying than it is useful.
    But being connected with people you lost contact with 15 years ago is quite amazing.

I also think that most people have nothing to post if they went about their lives normally.
    However, forcing yourself to post makes you look at things more objectively, or at least look for something note worthy to share.
    I am not interested in baby photos, but some posts are really quite interesting and useful. :)
    Russ71 likes this.
  11. bearballz

bearballz Well-Known Member

Have to admit I don't have one either. Facebook, Google+ even Myspace, never really saw the need to have an account. Hell I don't even use Twitter!

Everyone I know can call, email or text me if they need to share some big news or vice versa.
    Don't think it's a generational thing because my folks and siblings all have Facebook accounts and love it. It's funny though, my friends, family and GF call or text me when they need advice on tech stuff, but are still surprised that I'm not on any social network.

Not like I'm a recluse or anything, and call me old fashioned but I still think having a conversation over the phone or meeting someone for dinner, coffee or a cold one and having a face to face conversation is still much more satisfying than checking in on a social network.
    Russ71 likes this.
  12. Bob Maxey

If you want to see what not to do on FB try "friending" me. I am like totally embarrassed at the crap that spills out of my e-mouth. I agree, nobody should ever hire a wackjob like me. I hang my head in shame.
  13. Bren S.

Bren S. Well-Known Member

I have fb and have for about 3 yrs. I go in streaks where i use it a lot, and other times not at all.
    I've even deactivated it a couple of times, but always ended up coming back.
    Like everything it has its positives and negatives.
    Russ71 likes this.
  14. Skyroket

Skyroket Well-Known Member

Never had one and im glad! Not that i dont like it.. Its just to me fb is a wrong social system.
  15. SlayersRage

SlayersRage Well-Known Member

I've had mine for a long time, but I don't post everything that goes on in my life, like some people do..It has pros & cons. It is nice to have since some friends of mine have moved far off & I don't get to see them much
  16. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

Use mine mostly for companies who do their online help and customer service that way.

If I ain't got nothing to say - why in hell should I bother posting gibberish just to be social?

Lorem Ipsum dolor sit amet.
  17. It seems most people that put absolutely anything on their wall, are also the people that constantly would be calling to whine to me if they didn't have Facebook...... lol, so I consider it my drama answering machine lmao.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  18. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

I have one, but its mostly for communication. My classmates and I have a Facebook group, organizations I am a part of have a Facebook group, and basically, its easier to disseminate information via Facebook than other ways. Facebook groups work something like forums with a section for photos, documents and videos apart from the threads, so its easy to carry on a discussion in some ways. So yes, Facebook can be useful in ways apart from finding long lost friends or keeping in touch with relatives over a distance. There are some things that are annoying about it though.
  19. !on

!on Well-Known Member

I do not trust FB at all, the way they change things BEFORE notifying people of any changes. I have a phone that has messenger apps, email, text, & makes calls. I don't trust twitter either; they seem to have some of the same shady privacy policies that FB has. People have been sucked into FB hook line & sinker & it's a great way for government agencies & employers to pry into our personal lives, which they do.

I don't get it that you need FB to find people, there is google & the whole internet for that.

I came out of work one time & overheard these office people go like "oooh go on my facebook..." they sit next to each other, with phones & PC's, & go home to phones & PC's :D .

If they're your REAL friends, they'll be in your phone book, you might even go see them in person?
  20. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Uh, yeah, they are searchable on the internet if they have Facebook. If they don't have Facebook, Twitter or whatnot, chances are they aren't searchable on the internet. Although this may probably depend in what country the person is in.

I got them as real friends, classmates since 1st grade, but they since moved out of the country/city and we like to keep tabs on each other and still talk over chat. One of my real good friends moved out of the country to the US a couple of years ago, and its more convenient and less expensive to chat, share pictures of our other friends here, and other stuff, with her over facebook than visiting her. It doesn't mean that if they are REAL friends they have to be within easy travelling distance of each other, unless you don't consider people moving away to be friends anymore.

I am not saying that you should change your mind. I'm just saying that FB does provide a service for others who find it useful. Besides, with or without Facebook, the government can pry into your life whether you like it or not. You have internet and you have a phone, that's all they'd need. As for employers, its as simple as making your account private and not adding them in the first place.
  21. !on

!on Well-Known Member

Nah that wasn't aimed at you personally, I just think FB is unnecessary for a lot of things, not to mention it's sinister side of allwing employers access to your personal life. Wouldn't be so bad if they actually asked or notified people of changes beforehand.

I think twitter is a bit of an experiment that will fail at some point due to people abusing it.
  22. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Dumped my account a couple months ago after signing up in 2004.
    After the email phishing problems and the fact that I didn't really care to know about these folks anymore, was time for me to call it quits.
  23. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

I do use Twitter at times, but since my phone is rooted, I freeze it with TB unless I want it.

Have done the same with Flickr, and will only access Yahoo via Boat Browser. Won't use any sites' apps.

Took all extra off Google - like Picasa and Blogger. The accounts are still there, but nothing on them.
  24. ebusinesstutor

ebusinesstutor Well-Known Member

I do find that Facebook is a useful way to keep up with the lives of far flung family members I haven't seen in years.

And an Facebook message to my brother goes directly to him and he answers. If I leave a voice mail, with all the other people in the house, he never seems to get it.
  25. Bob Maxey

And then like locusts, the crowd moves to something new and it begins again.