No 'Favourites' stored in Google Maps, a pain!Support

Last Updated:

1. grillphil

grillphil Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

I'm new here and new to the HTC Desire but understand most of the Apps that can be used on this neat phone.

One BIG niggle I have is that the Google Maps App on this phone does not allow you to save 'favourites' or 'starred' places on the phone, like your home or work place if you use the phone for navigation from A to B.:(

I have searched here to see if this topic has been mentioned before but cannot find anything.
    Looking at Google Maps Mobile 'help' it does say that you can 'star' destinations and save addresses in your 'favourites' but do you think I can, well no.

Does one of you tech guys know how this can be done, if so it would be appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. Panama

Panama Active Member

The only way I have got this to work, to a fashion, is when google knows a shop or something similar close to where you want to go/be. when you click on that place on the map it gives you details of it an allows you to add a star.

Very naff if you ask me, why they don't just let you save a favorite is beyond me :-(

3. grillphil

Thanks for the reply.

Naff, well yes I agree. Perhaps I should bombard Google concerning this issue as it's not much use otherwise, in fact a useless App. I wonder if there is another Map/navigation App on the market which can let you save destinations?

4. marshduck

marshduck Member

Try this:

On the Map screen,
    Hold you finger down until "Loading address" appears.
    A little box will appear.
    Tap the box and a new screen will appear describing the place. In the top right there should be a clear star.
    Tapping this star should produce a starred item. A star also appear in the map view.

I don't think you can alter the namer though.

Hope that helps you

5. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Well-Known Member

Starred items are saved;
    Menu, more, starred items. voila a list of all the stars you've dropped or are yiu wanting ssomething else?

grillphil likes this.
  6. neilgarr

neilgarr Active Member

try adding address to a contact, this is then shown in google maps. Either that or use the 'navigate to' option or create a shortcut and store it on your homescreen

grillphil likes this.
  7. Panama

Panama Active Member

All in all a naff way of doing something very fundamental for sat navs :-(

grillphil likes this.
  8. grillphil

This seems to work but is a long winded way of doing things, also adding addresses in my contacts list works to, but of course if you enter all the address info.

Looks like I will keep my Navman which is a breeze to operate.

9. Sybex

Sybex Active Member

Not sure if this is the same thing that you are talking about, I use 'Navigation Book for Google maps', from Android Market....

10. grillphil

I'm not using that but will have a look at it to see if it's easier to use with Google.

Thanks

11. Gisbourne

Gisbourne Well-Known Member

You can create shortcuts which effectively act as favourites by long holding on the home screen and adding a 'Directions & Navigation' shortcut (I have created a folder on my home screen to store these).

You can also use the full Google Maps website to store places to 'My Maps'. Once you have done this you can then browse these locations on your phone using the (more) layers feature within Google Maps. This is really useful for planning a multi stop journey or long road trip. I find all these features far more flexible than a traditional Sat Nav.

My only gripe is that I wish we had a layer for Speed Cameras (without 3rd party software) and the facility to view your speed.

Hope this helps... ;)

G

12. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Well-Known Member

I don't get it :confused: you can either drop stars which are saved or save an address as a contact, how else do you want to save a location?

13. grillphil

I want to use the 'Favorites' tab to store destination information, that's what it's for, NOT enter all addresses in my contacts list which will eat up memory;) nor mucking about with the silly star system.

I think Google needs to do a bit more work on the software, that's if they can be bothered:rolleyes:

14. Griff_LI

Griff_LI Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't get it. You enter a destination. Select the one you want to go to. You're given the tab where you can get Directions or Navigate. If you hit the star on the top right it saves it in your "starred items" list. How is that not a "Favourites tab" other than it being called something different?

Once you've stored it you can hit menu from the map and starred items and recall it.

I really fail to see how you could do it with many fewer steps. Now, you may prefer the way your Navman works but Google aren't going to copy it for a couple of reasons. Firstly Navman would sue them for patent infringement and secondly Navman hasn't exactly set the world on fire with its UI so why would you?

As for Google not being "bothered", I've own my Desire for 2 months now, I've seen 2, maybe 3 upgrades to Google Maps in that time (including one this morning). It's become a lot better, I suspect it will continue to do so. I call that pretty good customer service for something that costs me exactly nothing.

15. partridge

partridge Well-Known Member

Why not use Footprints? It links to Maps and works great.

You take a photo of where you are, it records the gps location and allows you to edit the entry. If you want to navigate to that place, you can do that as it links to Navigation.