No flash player 10.1 for the Moment, even with 2.1General

Last Updated:

1. BenHoltz

BenHoltz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The Adobe Forums have confirmed this sad sad news.
    See the following:
    It looks like we are in the same boat as the hero. We have a Classic ARM Processor, the Samsung ARM 1176 based S3C6410 Mobile Application Processor (non coretex). See where we are on this chart.
    [​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. kzoo

kzoo Well-Known Member

Adobe will do something soon or risk losing a lot of programming on the web that is directed at mobile devices. My guess is they are working toward slimming it down.

3. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Well-Known Member

I find flash to be irritating. I don't miss it on 90% of websites at home (I use a 64bit browser most of the time). Not sure I'd miss on my phone, especially since I never had it to begin with.

What would be some favorable uses for flash on our phones?

4. ydoucare

ydoucare Active Member

In a small way, this bothers me, but mostly it doesn't. Flash on mobile devices will do nothing more than molest your battery. The only other possible use I would have for flash aside from youtube would be flash games, but I really can't see myself playing flash games on a phone regardless if you can do it or not.

5. zcarman

zcarman Well-Known Member

I think the other part to remember is that we will all be getting new devices later this year (everyone is aware that Sprint is doing yearly upgrades for just about everyone now right?) and Flash will probably run just fine on the newer hardware.

Remember the next Gen Moment will also have that HD Tuner built in as well... A bit more ram, a nice Snappydragon or maybe something a bit different in the processor slot and poof... Flash built in... :)

6. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Or by that time flash will be outdated...

7. swaze

swaze Well-Known Member

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I am holding my hero in my hand which is running 2.1 with flash 10 installed. So while the article says flash won't be in the update, it will be on the hero. Just not offically by adobe.

8. Eric-VTX

Eric-VTX Well-Known Member

how you get to work? and can you share how you did it? Maybe you can make a youtube video?:confused: for us to see...I'm sure someone here will show us how to get in our Moment? I would like to have it just to see my local weather clips...

9. swaze

swaze Well-Known Member

It came with the 2.1 Eris leak that was ported to the hero yesterday. It's built into the Rom so I'm not sure how to pull it but stay tuned cause the guys on xda will have the answer for everyone. right now u can only get it in this Rom.

10. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

Is this a version that allows you to stream Flash OTW? Or another version that just plays flash files that have been installed to the SD?

11. swaze

swaze Well-Known Member

This allows for streaming flash OTW.

12. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Hmm... so home-brew flash might work.... I'm game. *raises hand to be guinea pig*

13. cosine83

cosine83 Well-Known Member

Flash is a piece of junk. HTML5 support in WebKit and having a native H.264 codec on Android will out-perform Flash in all ways and it won't molest battery life nearly as much as flash. Frankly, the mobile world is better off without Flash support and clunky implementations of it.

14. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

It's great that you feel that way. But until that is implemented however far down the road, I want flash in the mean time.

15. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

The upside to Adobe dragging their feet in the mobile world is that it will force the sites like youtube, hulu, and online games sites that use flash in a useful manner to move to HTML5 even faster. Once that happens, flash will only be for annoying web ads that you want blocked anyway and for flashy restaurant web sites who shouldn't use flash in the first place. BuBye flash!

16. mcdevin1973

mcdevin1973 Member

Sirius Radio's online Media Player: I listen to SiriusXm everyday and if we had flash, I could use the online media player through my phone instead of constantly having to adjust the satelite antenna in my cubicle. That would make my year, my decade AND my century.

17. ramiss

ramiss Well-Known Member

Adobe's comments about the processor are total nonsense. Flash runs just great on bloated Windows Mobile devices such as the Touch Pro that has a 528 MHz ARM1136EJ-S processor.

18. cosine83

cosine83 Well-Known Member

Well, it's already halfway there. Android has a H.264 codec already and through Google Gears, has video support. Hence why you can play YouTube videos since they use HTML5/H.264 by default and use Flash as a fallback. HTML5 is already planned and should be available in an Android update.

Flash is crap bloatware that the mobile world does not need. At least until Adobe gets their heads out of their asses to fix all the memory leaks and optimize how it uses the processor. One Flash app would absolutely kill a mobile battery due to processor usage alone.

19. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Flash won't be outdated for at least 5-10 years.