• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No frills Launcher

BLC

Lurker
Nov 16, 2015
All that I want to do is be able to hide or slide the dock out of the way and to hide the top notification bar and maybe those little dots that represent the screen in the lower middle. Basically just so that I can see my theme or background without the clutter. I just don't want a bunch of extra bull. Running jellybean on note 5.

Thank you

Nova Launcher Prime is one of the capabilities that will change the way you think about your phone. You will wonder how you overlooked it so long. (No I am not on commission.)

... Thom

I have had smart phones for about 6 years, and a year ago, I finally decided to see what all of this "launcher stuff" is about.
I could hit myself on the head with a 2x4 for not investigating launchers years ago.

Nova Launcher Prime totally transformed the way my phone works now.
folders? yep, save them? yep!
Home screens like all phones have? Nova will save them for you!!!

the last time I had to do an FDR, being more educated now :), it was about a 15 minute job, instead of a two day job.
Super Backup restored almost every thing.
Nova rebuilt the whole GUI part of it.

wallah! instant repair, minus all the malware junk that caused me to FDR the phone in the 1st place.

Upvote 0
Not my cup of tea. Uninstalled. Didn't like the changed icons and hated the app and widget drawers etc... It was just more than what I wanted.

I ran Holo launcher (not Hola) on my Nexus for years and liked it. Then one day they did an update and the dock dropped halfway down below the viewable screen. I literally spent hours in the launcher settings trying to adjust it but to no avail . Not that that has anything to do with Nova launcher but as far as the options go they were similar to Nova. I wouldn't trust it again though.

I do sincerely appreciate your suggestions. I will search on.

Upvote 0
Just not ready to spend £4 on a launcher I may not like as I do touchwiz.. I wouldn't grumble if it were £2 ☺

I have not regretted purchasing Nova Prime for even one second.
It is worth every penny. It has so many configuration options, and the ability to make backups of all of your Home Screens? that alone is worth the price of admission. ( if for some reason you have to FDR the phone, with a backup of Nova launcher, you just go to the backup file, click on the backup and in 10 seconds it has restored all of the Home Screens... including the folders with their icons ).

The restoration of the Home Screens depends on all of the apps being restored first. Use a good backup app for that before you restore the Home Screens.

Upvote 0
Sorry to be such a newb, but what are the main reasons for using a launcher that is different from the stock one? I'm a developer and would love to know more about what features to include in our launcher.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

The reason I use Nova Prime launcher are as follows:

1. I don't like the dock. Nova allows me to remove it.
2. I can choose to add more rows and columns for screen objects. On my N6P, I have 8 rows and 6 columns.
3. I can overlap screen objects. One of my widgets does not fill up all of the space allocated to it. I over allocate space for the widget because it only fills up about 70% of the space. Even though the widget extends higher or lower, I can put other screen objects in the blank space.
4. I like infinite scroll for my home screen. When I go pass the last home screen, it wraps around to the beginning.

Reactions: AZgl1500
Upvote 0
what are the main reasons for using a launcher that is different from the stock one?
In a word, customizations. These are my reasons for switching to Nova:
1. I wanted more icons on the home screen. The stock launcher only allowed four rows by four columns. I felt the screen was large enough to accommodate more than that.
2. I wanted to be able to to move the Apps icon out of the dock.
3. I wanted the dock icons to be slightly larger than the others.
4. I wanted to be able to edit the icons' captions, and even to use no captions at all for some of them.

Other features that weren't part of the reason for switching to Nova, but which I came to really love now, include:

1. The ability to customize the unread badges - font, size, background color, outline color...
2. The ability to set a custom action for the Home button. I've set it so that the first press takes me to the Home screen, then the second press (or the first, assuming I was already on the Home screen to begin with) turns off and locks the screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones