No Gingerbread update yet...General

Last Updated:

1. grvthang

grvthang Well-Known Member

Am I the only person left who hasn't gotten the OTA update yet? I'm kinda pissed bc I only recieved the phone two weeks ago today (I bought it via VZW's website) and it arrived with 2.2.1.

I had assumed that, when they do the OTA it's done by geographical area, but I guess it's done some other way (unless nobody else in NYC has gotten the update yet)...

2. picord

picord Well-Known Member

did you try to force the update? or
    You could always root also before doing the update since you cant root once the phone has been updated to GB
  3. grvthang

I'm not interested in rooting right now. How do I force the update?
  4. picord

picord Well-Known Member

menu > settings > software update > check new
  5. grvthang

It will reset my phone, right? I'll have to reinstall all my apps and all?
  6. picord

picord Well-Known Member

no you wont have to reinstall your apps
    grvthang likes this.
  7. grvthang

Cool - I'm gonna go ahead and do it when I get home from work.
  8. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Well-Known Member

9. grvthang

I did it, it was painless, and I see absolutely no difference in performance.
  10. RBEmerson

Um, don't look for the difference between a '286 and quad core, but you'll find things do move faster and, most of the time, more reliably. Obviously, as this forum shows, some things may break. But 99.5% of the time, I'm glad I did the upgrade. .5% of the time I wish I could kill bloatware, and get my Sena SMH-10 to accept A2DP streaming.
  11. grvthang

I don't really notice a difference, not that I doubt you're correct. I'm just happy that it didn't reset my device (as it did going from 1.5 to.2.0 on my Eris.
    As far as bloatware goes, it's just an annoyance to have it clutter my apps menu; the device has plenty of internal memory where it doesn't affect my ability to install the apps I want (unlike the Eris, where internal space was a problem).
  12. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

It seems that HTC has removed some of the "cool" features of GB, primarily the CRT TV on/off animations. But yes, there are performance differences with GB. One of the most prominent performance differences is that GB is much more aggressive than all the previous builds. This means that it will close apps more often to keep room for other apps.

My Inc2 shipped with GB installed and I never even had the choice to install it or hold off and root. Oh well, it will only be a matter of time before GB gets root...

13. andyv05

andyv05 Member

Well I'm still waiting on GB I keep trying to manually update it and nothing comes up. Sucks
  14. RBEmerson

Did you talk to VZW about this? I'd expect by now everyone has had a chance to load GB.

- - -

Huh? What was this? I don't recall this under Froyo.
  15. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

That is because this is a Gingerbread specific feature for stock android, and for some reason HTC took it out. It doesn't help out anything, but man it is pretty cool.
  16. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Sure is cool. Bout the only feature I really noticed (outside of the black/green status bar) from upgrading to GB on my Droid. I've heard the new keyboard is great, but I use Swiftkey, and I imagine the Inc2 stays with the HTC_IME.
  17. blackepoxy

blackepoxy Well-Known Member

I just activated today, and checked ,tried to force, no gingerbread update for me either. I brought to phone into the store, they just said to wait a couple days...
    Well, shut phone down, pulled battery, left it out for about 5 mins, checked new, nothing...
    What could cause the phone not to show the update?
    Wow, still nothing for me yet!

I read about this a long time ago and just remembered about it. Forcing the update by using the dialer.From your Android phone