No ICS for the Galaxy S advance, but straight to Jelly beanGeneral

Last Updated:

1. kvnvdh

kvnvdh Member

According to an official Facebook page of Samsung Bulgaria, the Galaxy Ace 2and the Galaxy S Advance will not receive an Android 4.0 ICS update. Instead they will jump straight to 4.1 Jelly bean.

How great is this news?! :)

nieltab likes this.
  2. nieltab

nieltab Well-Known Member

That would be really great :) Can you post a picture of the announcement?
  3. kvnvdh

kvnvdh Member

There are articles about it here;
    Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 and S Advance going to skip Ice Cream Sandwich and will get Jelly Bean | SamMobile

Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 and S Advance to skip ICS, get JB - news

And this is the page where it was said:

Edit Saturday, september 15:
    I contacted the local Samsung branch here in Belgium, and they said that they had no new information yet. They also told me that maybe there were problems with the software in Bulgaria, so they need the release an update faster. It all depends which country yuou live in.
  4. thehitman47

thehitman47 Member

Now its official guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,samsung released device list which will get JELLY BEAN .......and S Advance is on the list. So dont worry ,,,,,,,just wait for sometime........
  5. nieltab

Hooray :)
  6. mvrck

mvrck Member

Why do I have a strange feeling that Samsung spread this rumor only to buy some time?. So that when we were supposed to get ICS Samsung knows we're eager enough to wait a little longer for the Jelly bean. and by the time we get the Jelly bean eventually it will already be a few months past the release of the next android version (is it "Key Lime pie"?, I'm not sure). So we'll always be one step behind the new version, wouldn't we?.(we're two versions behind, at this moment..that's a fact).Look at Sony or htc for god's sake, they are in sync with the latest version of android. I hope this Jelly bean rumor turns out to be true (Is Samsung's facebook page officially Samsung's mouth piece? Or is it just a strategy to increase the sales of their phones which are currently in the market:confused:). I hope JB is released fast within the end of this year.
  7. rameshqmr

rameshqmr New Member

if u have updated reply to me frnd .....thanks
  8. nieltab

Dat ze het Belgie maar eerst geven hehe ;)
  9. sunilavvas

sunilavvas New Member

Hi All,

I have upgraded my device(Galaxy S Advance I9070) with with Official XXLE2 Gingerbread 2.3.6 Firmware manually through Odin

Do i get any software updates in future through Air ?

If not please let me know the solution how do i get the software update from Air

Thanks in Advance,
  10. mvrck

mvrck Member

nieltab likes this.
  11. nieltab

Finally an 'estimated date'. But it is running great on gingerbread, so I think I can survive waiting until january :)
  12. mvrck

mvrck Member

Didn't ever feel a glitch while running on gingerbread (it was already refined). So hopefully Jelly bean is far superior than our expectations..:)
  13. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Yep, if/when you get JellyBean, I don't think you'll be disappointed. :)

Android has come a long way since 2.3 and I hear they've done some nice stuff with the newer versions of Touchwiz too.
  14. kvnvdh

kvnvdh Member

I received an update OTA today I was so excited, I thought it was finally here. After updating, I saw nothing had changed, so I checked and it turns out I'm still running 2.3.6 :(
    After seaching the web, I found out this was just a small update that wa jut meant to increase stability. I got all excited for nothing. :mad:

Anyway, some say this update was needed to ensure a smooth roll-out of the actually JB update soon.
  15. nieltab

On my tablet they also first gave 2 small updates before going to ICS. I think its normal, why would they update now, when we go to a whole new version in january ;)
  16. kvnvdh

kvnvdh Member

Yes, I believe so.
    I noticed somthing has changed though. Now, I can't continuous scroll in Twitter or Instagam or other apps. What I mean is that before, I could quick scroll and before the scolling stopped, add an additional flick to speed the scrolling again. Now when I want to "add" a scroll before the scrolling stopped, it immediately stops. This is a little annoying in my opinion.
  17. nieltab

Yes I read about it, I dont know why they did this. Could be a bug though.
  18. nieltab

Yay it's January, let's see if samsung keeps their promises. I'm trying to do a live chat to get an actual release date, but there is no one available atm.

edit: I did a live chat, but they just told me that they have no information. They also told me that it can take longer for other countries to receive the update (I'm referring to the German facebook page).
  19. mvrck

mvrck Member

chiappa and El Presidente like this.
  20. nieltab

Nice, then it won't take much longer :) hopefully they tested it in every possible detail before bringing it out. I want a smooth experience ;)
  21. chiappa

chiappa Member

Wohoo. How does the update work then? Do you get a notification directly to your phone when it's available?
  22. nieltab

It depends on your settings. You can check manually by going to settings --> about phone --> update --> check for updates
  23. mvrck

mvrck Member

Anyone who's eagerly waiting for a Jellybean update and are willing to try out the Russian version.. can refer to this post from XDA forums for instructions and download link:

I haven't tried this though. So i really can't comment anything on the looks and feel of it.. I'm happy to wait for a few weeks for the official Region-specific updates.

Seems to work well seeing the comments on that forum. Do it at your own risk..cheers :D
  24. nieltab

I prefer waiting for the official update of my country. It is taking soo long :eek: I was thinking it would be released a few days after Russia.

Well atleast now the Russians can find all the bugs, so they can fix those first :)
  25. nieltab

Syphadeus, chiappa and mvrck like this.