no insurance on phone bought on ebay

Last Updated:

1. timcity

timcity Active Member This Topic's Starter

So I bought a moto droid on ebay the other day after suffering some 2.0 envy with my droid eris. I wanted to see if my moto would be insured right when I activated it or is I needo to set it up manually. I went into my local verizon store and said they wouldnt insure it because I bought it third party. My question is how would they know or if this is even true because the guy I was talking to didn't sound too confident.

Advertisement
  2. Crude

Crude Well-Known Member

I ran into this a while back. I was told that Verizon only insures Verizon phones. To which I replied good, inshure mine! Then I was told that I bought it third party, it isn't a Verizon phone. Pointing at the VZW logo I then told them tha Verizon will not activate a non-Verizon phone on their network and since I can clearly make calls the ESN must be verizons?

It went round and round and I finally gave up....this is kinda how the voicemail and IN-calling went. I dial my number right? And I am clearly a verizon customer so why am I being charged out of network minutes for listening to my own voicemails? Of course now I use google voice.

3. primetime

primetime Guest

You cant insure it because you didnt buy it from vzw or an indirect outlet.. and its not VZW policy its Asurions

4. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it makes sense from an insurer's standpoint. You have to pick up insurance within the first 30 days which means they'll only insure new phones. Unless it comes from the controlled carrier inventory, how do you verify that?

5. willdogs

willdogs Well-Known Member

The Insurer is trying to avoid this scenario:

You buy a used phone from ebay/craigslist etc... or you buy a "New" phone from a third party. The phone arrives broken or damaged in some way.

Here you come trying to insure the phone.. they insure you and the next day you make a claim on the broken phone you received.

They are only trying to protect their bottom line.

They only insure phones RIGHT from verizon since it is guaranteed that they are giving you a Brond New phone. It's very controlled.

6. mpciii

mpciii Well-Known Member

If you bought it on ebay, I'm sure you could get a Square Trade Warranty. That's usually what I do when I buy electronics from there. They are very reasonable.

7. rdalcanto

rdalcanto Well-Known Member

What about going to Best Buy and trying to get their warranty?

8. daddyd302

daddyd302 Well-Known Member

Edit: Didn't read the whole story, lol.

9. iLollar

iLollar Active Member

What about buying a phone thats brand news from ebay and has no problems? Ill ring ass if they dont insure it!