No internet access when on wifi

1. Spattykins

Spattykins Member

Hello, I've had my kyocera rise for a few months now and I recently ran into a problem.
    I have no internet access when connected to the wifi. I can access the internet when disconnected but it's incredibly slow and I'd rather use the wifi. I use the default browser because chrome messed up my connection somehow in the past. I've cleared my cache, cookies and form data but to no avail.
    Any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

is this on your home network? could it be your router? what happens when you try to connect on wifi? errors? or nothing? does the phone show its connected? or it will not connect?
    Spattykins likes this.
  3. Spattykins

Spattykins Member

It's my home network.
    All my other devices can connect to it without issue.
    My phone doesnt give any error messages. It just tells me it's connected, lights up the wifi icon and then claims it cannot connect to any websites as if i had no connection.
  4. Spattykins

Spattykins Member

Some extra information in case this helps, ive had this problem in the past when coming into range of my wifi on my way home from school. Disconnecting from the network and then restarting my phone worked up until sunday when this began.
    I'm pretty sure it's not a virus because Im only ever on youtube and wikipedia on my phone and i don't download things directly to my phone.
  5. Spattykins

Spattykins Member

6. ocnbrze

is your phone rooted? if not maybe try a factory reset, but keep in mind that this will delete any data you have on the phone.
    Spattykins likes this.
  7. Spattykins

Spattykins Member

I've never had a need to root it but I suppose I can if it's necessary.
    I'll try a reset, I keep all my data on an sd card for just such a situation.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  8. Spattykins

Spattykins Member

I'm just waiting on my phone downloading its prerequisite programs before I try connecting.
    Fingles crossed!
    ocnbrze likes this.
  9. Spattykins

Spattykins Member

No dice. I can't even get onto google.
  10. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

Spattykins likes this.
  11. SirSpace

SirSpace Well-Known Member

So you can't connect to your wifi through phone but all other devices work on it correct.
    before doing factory reset try updating ur software on phone if you haven't already. Did you update phone recently?. This could also be a problem if so back up phone and try removing update. Try that if nothing you might have no choice but to do a reset.
    Spattykins likes this.
  12. Spattykins

Spattykins Member

I haven't updated and I haven't been notified of an update but I'm trying the wifi fixer from crashdamage's link.
    It's not telling me that there's any issue with the wifi but for some reason when I hit the forget my network to disconnect, shut off my wifi, restart my phone and reconnect to my network, I can get to google. But nowhere else.
  13. Crashdamage

This kind of problem is sometimes related to DNS (Domain Name System) resolution. DNS translates website names into numerical IP addresses. Does using an IP address rather than a website name allow you to connect? For example, instead of 'google.com' use ' http://74.125.224.72/'. If so, it's a DNS problem.

There can be several causes for this. Try rebooting routers or modems first. Clear browser caches and cookies. If still no luck, try a different browser. If still no go, contact your ISP. Sometimes the problem is on their end.
    Spattykins and ocnbrze like this.
  14. Spattykins

Spattykins Member

Alrighty, using the ip didn't work.
    I did a factory reset and that didn't work.
    I haven't had a chance to reset the wifi because the person that runs it assures me that the first Tuesday of the month brings updates so I have to wait a little while for that.
    I'm going to try another browser though.
  15. Spattykins

Spattykins Member

I'm downloading chrome. If that doesn't work I'll try firefox.
  16. Spattykins

Spattykins Member

After much convincing, I got the internet reset.
    I actually had to prove it's not a hardware problem by driving half-way across town and connecting to the free wifi at the mall.
    But the connection has been re-established and I thank all of you for your help!
    ocnbrze likes this.
  17. grambo25

grambo25 New Member

I am having the exact same issue. I have other devices that can connect to the internet. My phone says it is connect to the wifi network, but no internet access or android network access. What do I need to ask the ISP to do to restore the connection for my phone?
  18. Crashdamage

Disconnect the power to the router for 30 seconds. Reconnect, wait a couple minutes, then try the phone again.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  19. ocnbrze

welcome to AF!!!!!!!!

it would help also to let us know what device you have? is it up to date with firmware? is it rooted?
  20. Robyoung1532

Robyoung1532 New Member

I recently bought my kyocera rise a month ago. My 3G works and so does all my roomates Wi-Fi connections (same router I connect to) When I go and press connect, it says authentification problem???? Need help