No internet while on a call?Support

Last Updated:

1. godhatesnags

godhatesnags Member

Is this really the case? I feel like I saw commercial spots on television back in 2008 where phone manufacturers were touting the ability to find directions to a restaurant while on the phone with another person.. Yet when I need it, I get the error that I'm not connected to the network.

2. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

I know that AT&T has been able to do that for years, unfortunately with this phone I don't think that it's possible unless you're using 4G Wimax or wifi for data. Definitely a no go on 3G. :rolleyes:
    godhatesnags likes this.
  3. godhatesnags

godhatesnags Member

Ugh.. Guess I just thought by now that would be standard issue on any phone/carrier. Perhaps in the 20's my need to pull up a order # while on the phone with customer service will be met.
  4. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Well-Known Member

You have to understand how CDMA works. Your voice and data come from the same radio in the phone. You can't do both at the same time. With AT&T and GSM networks, their voice rides on some old 2G radios and the data uses 3G. There is a 2G and 3G antenna.

If Sprint wanted to, they could add another antenna which they did when they put Wimax on this phone. So you can be on 4G and a call at the same time if you get 4G. Sprint must not have any slower older things on the towers or else they could switch the voice over to 2G and let the 3G data keep flowing.

It's probably not a money maker for them, so why invest in the expense?
  5. Latah Pines

Latah Pines Member

Imagine my shock at this revelation when switching over from AT&T. This has made me adjust my multi-tasking.

Yes, you can surf while on 4G or Wi-Fi (better on Wi-Fi). 4G only super-reliable if you aren't moving, as its signal can fade on a dime.

If you need internet info, without having to open new pages while talking on the phone, simply open the webpage before you make the call, and take a screenshot of it. Then, once on the call, go to the notification bar and open the screenshot.
    godhatesnags likes this.
  6. godhatesnags

godhatesnags Member

Truely is frustrating at times. No 4g for San Diego and not usually somewhere where there's WiFi during the day.. so kinda SOL on this one. The screenshot is a good tip though. Thanks.