• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Lollipop yet.

Mine updated last night (11/18) here in Indiana. I played around with it a little last night. Everything seemed to work fine. I'm not a tech wizard so I couldn't tell you all of the intricate details. But the "bar" is not transparent, which doesn't bother me as nothing has changed. I'm not a fan of the new stock keyboard but maybe it will grow on me. Outside of that things just look a little different. We'll see over time if the new look grows on me, I'm sure it will.

Upvote 0
While the Nexus 10 is much snappier and less crash prone now, three things are definitely omitted that I hoped for

1. No transparent bars again!

2. App drawer still holo dark. Not the lollipop white pop out app drawer

3. Still has compatibility bug in play store (NBA Jam, Real Racing 2 listed not compatible for no known reason)

That being said, keyboard accuracy greatly improved, battery life much better, icons don't blur out due to screen scaling issues, apps appear to conform to the resolution perfectly, and don't feel like blown up phone apps

Not sure why exactly. Mine said everything was up to date. I then cleared data from Play Services and Google Services Framework, rebooted the tablet, and soon as it came up the software update notification appeared. Why it required that is still a mystery

Upvote 0
While the Nexus 10 is much snappier and less crash prone now, three things are definitely omitted that I hoped for

3. Still has compatibility bug in play store (NBA Jam, Real Racing 2 listed not compatible for no known reason)

That being said, keyboard accuracy greatly improved, battery life much better, icons don't blur out due to screen scaling issues, apps appear to conform to the resolution perfectly, and don't feel like blown up phone apps

Not sure why exactly. Mine said everything was up to date. I then cleared data from Play Services and Google Services Framework, rebooted the tablet, and soon as it came up the software update notification appeared. Why it required that is still a mystery

1) Same call by Google as before, the GPU is weak in this tablet so they didn't implement in order to reduce possible performance complications.

2) Not sure, but it's likely just the launcher you're using and not Lollipop.

3) App Compatibility is set by the developers to set, not by Google or the Android OS. You'll need to reach out to the developers of the apps to get this fixed or to request support for the device.

Upvote 0
1. Don't buy their reasoning. The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 runs TouchWiz and has no trouble keeping up with transparent bars, and it has the same resolution. Custom ROM devs proved Google wrong back in KitKat.

2. The launcher is stock. White popout app drawer should be standard. Sounds are also stuck in KitKat.

3. Google needs to add in a download anyway option.

Upvote 0

1. Was expected. Shitty, but it is what it is.

2. That's because the default launcher that comes on the 4, 10, 7 etc is the legacy JB launcher. For whatever reason, Google didn't make Google Now Launcher the factory default except on the 5 and newer devices. Go to Google Play and download the Google Now Launcher. I know you like Nova Launcher Prime, so that's an option. They've added the white app drawer to beta, so it will be in the full release real soon. Follow this link for the .APK for the beta. https://plus.google.com/109670429793951665860/posts/ZcGUqtJZYRj

3. Can't speak to this as I don't download enough games to deal with compatibility issues.

Upvote 0
Actually I hoped that the update to Play Store changed how it worked. It has been wrong a ton of times, and has allowed installs of apps that truly aren't compatible and thus causing more issues than it solves which makes it a bad idea. No other app stores have compatibility filters. The best thing Google can do is either fix it or do away with it completely

Upvote 0
Too bad Nova can't circumvent Google's asinine decision to disable nav/status bar transparency. i don't get it. if the Note 10.1 can do it why not the N10? they both have the same resolution. One would assume that lack of TouchWiz would make it easier in the N10's case.

You might want to take it up with google, as we won't be able to answer that other than what we already know

Upvote 0
There was an issue that was resolved just before the 4.4.2 release. The fix for the bug was found but not in time for the release from what I had heard. Now why it still has not been included, well that is a mystery. Custom ROMS have had it for quite a while now working wonderfully, so it should be included. As far as I know we are the only orphans without the transparent bar with supported KK.

Reactions: nickdalzell
Upvote 0
I know it was fixed two versions ago. As I said it is either lazy development on Google's part or Google has something personal against the Nexus 10 specifically since they haven't given it any support at all.

Proof of that? Try the lack of a charging accessory that works with the copper pogo contacts on the bottom.

Next year I'll get a Nexus 9. I'll toss this one into the bin unless anyone wants it. I am just plain sick of the neutered OS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones