• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Lollipop yet.

All they did was take the badly implemented Samsung 'Auto Network Switch', enable it, and then take the option to disable this 'feature' away from the user. It's not exclusive to the Nexus 10. Pretty much any smartphone running lollipop will switch to data if they can't get a 'stable' connection to Google. Really smart, killing our data plans.

The zero transparency is just dumb. It totally breaks their own guidelines for Material Design.

Also not a big fan of making the notification icons resemble warning lights on a car dash. As if trying to define whatever causes the yellow warning triangle with exclamation point light to come on isn't obscure enough, now they take what used to be a perfect means of diagnosing connectivity over WiFi (hollow for no connection, orange/grey for no connection to Google, blue for internet and Google) and make it even more vague by simply adding a ! To it and not telling us what gives. And they truly thought people were confused about the one used in Jelly Bean? Don't make me laugh.

I'm waiting for them to add in a 'Check Tablet/phone' light. When it comes on time to send it into the store for a super pricey diagnosis and repair.

Upvote 0
LOL, I'd agree where old notifications were fine. My guess is they did this for those that are color blind but then why not just make it an option instead? That connect to Google or use your data plan just plain stinks. If the custom roms can't change this I may stick with 4.4.4 in the custom ROMs until it actually is fixed. It is a great reason to hold onto the older phones/tablets and not upgrade for sure.

Where I was not upset that CM11 M12 has not yet been released for the N10 now I may be one of the people clamoring for it. That is if this Google server thing is not fixed with 5.0 on the custom ROM etc..

Upvote 0
How about the poor folks who de-Google their devices? Like say maybe they don't want any part in the Google ecosystem? Sorry, no WiFi for you!

To be honest I think the official report on the single WiFi icon was that they assumed (incorrectly) that no one knew what the colors meant exactly. But what I don't get is why it mattered? Were millions of folks returning Nexus 5's and such because they couldn't figure out why their WiFi icon turned blue or grey? My guess is that they didn't give a darn.

To be honest, why exactly did Google make all notification icons white? Color can help tell many things and not just WiFi connectivity. Weather Channel uses red for their notification to show a severe alert.

Upvote 0
I really do not want to "de-Google" the device but definitely De-Chrome them. It crashes my N10 multiple times daily without even using it and I suspect a huge resource hog on the Razr. Nice thing about the custom rom is by also installing gapps there is no factory default Chrome. Select remove updates and when it asks to restore the factory default for the app just say yes. You then have no chrome. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones