{No longer works because of update] A possible GPS fix, note does not work for everyoneTips

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye VIP Member

======================================================
    ============ Removed as of 9/24 becasue it no longer applies =====
    ======================================================
    Becasue this causes issues with the recent JH7 update, I have removed the information. If you would like the information that was here, PM me and I will send it to you, however it is no longer valid so I have removed the information and locked the thread

Advertisement
    :
  2. JerseyScottie

JerseyScottie Member

This is 100% legit , wont screw up the phone even if done correctly ?
  3. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

well i don't know about 100% legit, one would argue only an official release by Samsung/At&t would be considered legit.

with that said, similar thing is going on with vibrant, some key gps components from the leaked unoffcial rom were extracted, and people are using it with victory.

however, if you are worried about legit value, today is the 18th, day is almost over, the GPS optimization is around the corner. For T-Mobile theres a rumor it will arrive monday.
  4. yahoowizard

yahoowizard Well-Known Member

Holy shit, indoor lock =D!!!!!!!!
  5. baddress

baddress Well-Known Member

6. cdc

cdc New Member

Great forum here! I just registered to thank you for this post. I will admit I kinda held my breath when I did this, but I was really wanting the GPS to work on this phone before my 30 day return was passed. I am happy to report, it works, locks INDOORS, and I just did turn by turn with Google Maps for the first time!
  7. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

I'll be watching this post with a lot of interest.

Don't care to hear about the inside or quick locks. I want to hear about driving in an area where there are close parallel roads and not having the GPS show you on the wrong road.

Fingers crossed. :p
  8. pr0virus

pr0virus Member

Turn off "use wireless networks" and leave only the GPS version on.

Then let us know if you get accurate locks.
  9. cdc

cdc New Member

Yes(networks off), and when I said I did turn by turn, that was driving around my neighborhood(has nothing but close parallel roads). I'm happy!
  10. chicknlil

chicknlil Well-Known Member

While I wasn't able to do this precisely as the directions instructed (Droid Explorer apparently doesn't like me), I was able to get the files onto my phone and where they needed to be. I rebooted the phone and then did a quick walk to the neighborhood dumpster, watching as google maps followed me the entire way. It may be a placebo effect, but it does seem improved.

I'll try and take a drive sometime tomorrow to see how it fares.
  11. mui

mui Member

Good to hear people are getting some good results. But just out of curiosity, has anyone else done a file comparison? I did a quick quick look:

A lot of lib files are the same in my Captivate, or seems to be out of place (ie libaudio.so [sound] and libt9.so [t9 keyboard] probably doesn't have to do anything with GPS).

The closest updated lib I could find that is related to GPS is libclientgps.so. In my Captivate, it doesn't replace anything and is basically a new file. Since it's new, I take it only LbsTestMode_1.0.apk will use it since none of the existing apps needed it before (?).

LbsTestMode_1.0.apk does not replace the existing LbsTestMode.apk in my Captivate. I'm not sure how or if this works. I was thinking it would either cause a conflict, or LbsTestMode_1.0.apk will just be ignored since I though APKs need to be installed to be "registered" into the system.

idk... If anyone feels like experimenting, before replacing any files, try doing #9 to #13 above first. Then try doing all of the steps to see if it's really better than just changing the settings.
  12. james27007

@mui

I'm sorry but I have no idea why using this set of lib files works or which one(s) are the key, I wish I did to make this file a lot smaller, I just know that it fixed the gps for myself and quite a few testers. I am still working on this and if I can get rid of a lot of files I will
  13. MarcMaiden

MarcMaiden Well-Known Member

I am downloading and doing this now. Will Navigate to work today and post back results.

Note: I have not been able to use my GPS accurately for almost a month now, so lets see where this takes me.

One more thing to remember: Although I appreciate the OP sharing this with us, many GPS fixes "do" work for a few days and then break again. So do not get your hopes too high if it works for the first few days.
  14. baddress

baddress Well-Known Member

This, exactly this.

Probably another placebo effect GPS voodoo fix.

Ripping a bunch of random lib files out of another "unofficial" rom and cramming them onto your phone when you don't know
    1) which lib files are necessary
    2) who may have "modified" them
    3) if the new files will even be used or if the new function routines in the replaced files will even be called
    4) what the adverse outcome might be if they are used
    is not the most intelligent thing to be doing in my opinion.

If you have a good back up plan, sure, go for it. But most of the hacks people come up with to fix gps are complete inanity pulled out of the thin air of ignorance. And that's why I call them phone voodoo. If you have a good backup plan and you want to play around, sure, give it a shot. But anyone who doesn't want to play with fire should just wait for the official signed release code.
  15. alme1304

alme1304 Member

hmmmm, it seems that I have lost my indoor ability, ill have to take this fix for a field test, hopefully I'll have better luck

edit: field test(backyard) = failed...
  16. samtr87

samtr87 Well-Known Member

Still flaky for me. Kept thinking I was on side streets next to the highway and tried to get me back on it.
  17. tobiass

tobiass Member

well at first try it worked but then back to normal still broken :(
  18. james27007

If you are not willing to try this and report your results, than don't post. It is that simple. If you feel this is a voodoo fix, than just skip it and wait for Samsung. I don't understand why people feel then need to bash something that can help without even trying it in the first place.

FYI I moved the thread as this is where it needs to be
  19. topshelf95

topshelf95 Well-Known Member

Is there anyone who has tried this that can confirm that it is working after a couple of days of testing? I had posted a gps fix also and it worked perfectly. For two days. :mad: My GPS is functional, but no where near where it should be, and no where near as good as it was when I first installed the fix.
  20. ronaldramsayii

ronaldramsayii Well-Known Member Developer

Works perfectly here. I'm using the Deodexed JH7 ROM that I've been working on, I'll definitely be implimenting this into the ROM, giving you MAJOR credit of course. Dude this is great work!! I'll update with a host from Mediafire....much quicker download for the majority of us.
    james27007 likes this.
  21. ronaldramsayii

ronaldramsayii Well-Known Member Developer

I do know certain files were conflicting with each other, which caused the GPS to mess up a bit. Some were saying it was files within thr framework, but I believe it's more within the lib files. This absolutely works. I'd experiment a little, but the next few weeks will be busy, I may not have the time....But hey, at least we know it works ;)
    james27007 likes this.
  22. mui

mui Member

I guess the question is, given the above, are the lib/apk files necessary at all? Or is the fix mainly the settings (steps #9+)?

Given that a large portion of system files that are being replaced, I was personally a bit hesitant in just copying everything over.

But yup, I tried it and for -me-, I didn't see a difference. I just reverted back to what I had before.

I did tweak the settings long before trying this also... Mine can lock at a decent speed, but accuracy on the go is another matter.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.