• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No media sound when connected via BT to hands free kit

MisterE

Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Hi all

I've had the DHD for about a week now and generally love it. However, there is one little issue that I hope someone can give me assistance in resolving.

When I tested the Sat Nav last week, I was getting no voice instructions. However, when I turned the radio off in the car, the instructions came back. It appeared that because my phone was connected to my hands-free kit in the car via BlueTooth, it didn't make a sound.

I presumed that this was a problem with the Sat Nav app.

However, I was today playing Angry Birds in the car (I was waiting for someone, not driving!!!) and again there was no sound. I was also listening to the radio so my phone had connected via BT to it.

I tried turning the volume up on the phone, but a message displayed saying something like "Playing Media Sound through Bluetooth" (or something similar).

Is there any way that whilst connected to a BlueTooth device, the phone can also play sounds? I've had a look around the menus, but can't find anything.

Many thanks

Hi all

I've had the DHD for about a week now and generally love it. However, there is one little issue that I hope someone can give me assistance in resolving.

When I tested the Sat Nav last week, I was getting no voice instructions. However, when I turned the radio off in the car, the instructions came back. It appeared that because my phone was connected to my hands-free kit in the car via BlueTooth, it didn't make a sound.

I presumed that this was a problem with the Sat Nav app.

However, I was today playing Angry Birds in the car (I was waiting for someone, not driving!!!) and again there was no sound. I was also listening to the radio so my phone had connected via BT to it.

I tried turning the volume up on the phone, but a message displayed saying something like "Playing Media Sound through Bluetooth" (or something similar).

Is there any way that whilst connected to a BlueTooth device, the phone can also play sounds? I've had a look around the menus, but can't find anything.

Many thanks

Hi there.

When it comes to BlueTooth, every BT device will have generally created profile(s) based upon what they can do. Examples are "Audio playback device profile, Audio call profile" etc. I'm not saying the profiles are named this exactly, but can't remember the exact names now and can't be bothered to look up on the phone.

However, when your phone connects to a BT device, the phone will check what kind of profiles the BT device has, and transfer corresponding sounds to the BT device.

In this case, it seems like the phone is misunderstanding (or getting wrong information from) your car radio. Thus, the car radio is not willing to play "Media playback", but the phone thinks it will.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about this, unless your radio has any settings to disable the profile for "Media playback".

Hope you somehow manage to solve your problem :)

Upvote 0
Yea unfortunate mate. At best, when you are using media on the phone, disable the BT on the phone. But then when a phone call comes you just gotta activate it quickly, pick up the phone and wait for about 10-15 secs, then the connection should be up, and sound transfers from the DHD automatically to any new BT device connected during a call.

Hope that is a solution you can use :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones