NO MORE FREE TetheringGeneral

1. LunchBB

LunchBB Well-Known Member

Just tried it... have the phone setup as WIFI tethering. Then have a computer connected to it. Then the browser shows a Tmobile page saying

"Your current data plan does not support tethering your phone to another device for Internet access. Please have your primary account holder call Customer Care, 1-800-937-8997"

Then on the right side, it shows "Phone Tethering & WIFI Sharing" for $14.99 per month!

OH NO!!!

Advertisement
  2. PikkonX

PikkonX New Member

Are you using the sim card that came with the phone? I'm using the one from my old G2x and tethering works fine for me.
  3. Carolina Media

Carolina Media Well-Known Member

Yeah if you're on one of their newer plans then you have to pay for tethering and portable hotspot.

I still have my plan from July 2009 and every Android that I put my sim card in uses them for free. While the $14.99 is less than what the other carriers charge ($20 extra for AT&T/Verizon, $30 for Sprint), it's still pretty annoying.
  4. LunchBB

It's not the SIM card. It's the phone!

I'm using the new SIM card comes with the phone. I put it back to HTC Sensation and WIFI Hotspot is working again. So it's the S2 doing it but not the SIM card.

I called Tmo and they confirmed it is newer phones (Amaze and S2) will both locked up the WIFI tethering.

If you have S2, once you have WIFI hotspot on, your phone can't even go online. It will re-route you to the same "upsell" page
  5. LunchBB

Look for PDAnet in market. I can still USB tether to computer running Windows for free without adding that data plan. It's just not WIFI hotspot, and I won't be able to connect with my Tablet. That's no fun!
  6. LunchBB

It has nothing to do with the plan either. It's the new phones (both Amaze and S2) that block tethering.

So, either root the phone, or use PDAnet.
  7. PikkonX

PikkonX New Member

It's odd that some people can while others can't. Tethering to my Touchpad works perfectly, but I haven't tried connecting to a laptop yet.
  8. LunchBB

Last night I tried I can still do WIFI tethering with my Nexus One and Sensation. But when the same SIM card in the S2, it will re-route the browser page to a Tmo upsell page.

So it is an issue with new Tmobile phones, Amaze and S2.
  9. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

i can confirm this.. new sim card works fine in my sensation but will not allow tethering / hotspot on the amaze or sgs2.. wifi calling doesnt work either! wtf
  10. LunchBB

My old SIM card still works in Sensation for both WIFI hotspot and WIFI calling.

I just don't think the new/old SIM card has any impact on WIFI calling or WIFI hotspot.
  11. BiGMERF

the new sim cards will work in the sensation for both as well... but once you insert either your OLD or NEW sim card in the amaze or sgs2 it will not work..
  12. LunchBB

With what you said, we can eliminate the problem is the SIM card. It doesn't matter it's new or old SIM card, sensation WIFI calling and WIFI hotspot will work. No mattery new or old SIM card, these 2 features won't work in Galaxy S2.

BTW, from what happened in Galaxy S2, WIFI Hotspot/tethering is working. It's just it will re-route all traffic to a Tmobile upsell page. DAMN YOU TMO!
  13. BiGMERF

the ATT transition has begun
  14. LunchBB

hahah.. as Class President, you shouldn't be starting rumor =)

ATT did it differently... while people can still tethered., they got a SMS saying continue to use, they will be signed to an expensive tethering plan.

Anyhow, I am happy using PDAnet for USB tethering (not to drain battery as fast as in WIFI tethering) to my laptop running Windows. It's just now no WIFI hotspot for my Sammy Galaxy Tab ...
  15. BiGMERF

exactly my gripe.. no more using it to tether my xoom.. grrrr

common we all know what this is about..... ATT!!! LOL
  16. LunchBB

Unless we root the phone.. and hopefully some smart guys can come up some solution to overcome this little trouble.
  17. ghostmac

ghostmac New Member

I just tested this and confirmed as well. Once wi-fi tethered, t-mo hijacks your traffic ann tries to upsell.
    WTF T-mo ??
    I used to be able to tether on my N1 with the same SIM.
  18. LunchBB

Not only the traffic on tethered device, even the phone browser won't go out to other page anymore.

You can still use your same SIM card to tether with N1 (and my sensation too). So it is a phone issue, not SIM card.
  19. MMakoto

MMakoto Member

ok, i'm not sure if i'm getting this correctly, but if i'm in the streets and i wanna connect my hp touchpad to the S2-it will not work?
  20. LunchBB

If you are using the Amaze or S2, it won't work, unless you paid for the $15 tethering plan.
  21. ssells

ssells Member

This is not good news. I am now trying to decide between the Amaze and Samsung Galaxy S2. Currently I am on the Even More Plus family plan. I have unlimited bandwidth with throttling over 5 gb. Will paying the $14.99 give me more than 5gb of 4g or do you remain under existing data caps?
  22. LunchBB

Both phone won't give you free tethering. My Sensation 4G still works that way.

I think the tethering plan only gives you the capability to tethering on any unlimited plan.. not to give you more on the data cap.
  23. MMakoto

MMakoto Member

LunchBB, so you've mentioned PDAnet, if i install this app-would it allow my tablet to use my S2's connection?
  24. LunchBB

PDAnet works for Windows or Mac platform. They made a version for Android tablet. It's in Beta. I tried it but couldn't get a connection. You can search for PDAnet in market to try it yourself.
  25. BiGMERF

same cap.. i know i know.. its lame