NO MORE FREE TetheringGeneral

Last Updated:

1. MMakoto

MMakoto Member

this is definitely bad news for me, a big part of the reason why i've upgraded to the S2 is the ability to do mobile hotspot. hopefully there's a work around or app in the near future. now i'm thinking if the nexus prime will be on tmo-it'll probably be the same. argh,..

2. LunchBB

LunchBB Well-Known Member

Definitely you can root the phone and then go tethering without any problem.

I am betting there would be no problem with nexus prime since it is a Google branded phone but not Tmo branded.
  3. jimrawr

jimrawr New Member

Same problem for me, cant tether. I had an unbranded GS2 prior to this TMobile one, and tethering worked fine. I guess for now we need to root? Whats the easiest way to root the GS2? Never did it before..
  4. LunchBB

I called Tmo to bitch about the fact this phone won't allow tethering but other Tmo phones can. They offered me $10 a month credit for 2 years but at the same time renew a 2 years contract today. I budged... but I'm not going to sign up that $15 WIFI tethering feature. I switched to the $49 unlimited talk, text, data plan for 2 years.. now it comes $39.. that's good deal I think =)
  5. MisterEd

MisterEd Well-Known Member

You can get thet $39.95 plan without needed to call them and gripe. It's "only" 1000 minutes and is 5GB 4G Data before throttle:
    Small Business Unlimited Cell Phone Plans | T-Mobile

No, you don't REALLY need to be a small business. But just tell them you are a sole proprietorship. If you go into the store they say "you must have a business" (OK prove I don't) but on the phone there is no problem other than finding a rep who can find the plan.

If you use very little TALK minutes (as I do) an even better deal is their new PREPAID no contract monthly plan. 100 minutes talk, unlimited text & data (5GB before throttle). $30/month plus there are no taxes like on regular plans plus you can buy prepaid cards at a discount so net cost is between $25-$30 month. We probably don't use 100 minutes in 4 months. :)
  6. nodrogkam

nodrogkam Well-Known Member

Funny how prepaid plans are looking more and more attractive.
  7. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Well-Known Member

Yeah, they are. I bought myself a Galaxy S 4G to test how fast T-Mobile "4G" is in my area using the Pay By Day $3 plan. If that works fine, I'm getting the new $30/month plan and will cancel the tethering plan on my AT&T iPhone. :p
  8. LunchBB

Those prepaid plans are very attractive... if you have your own handset, that's the way to go.
  9. Nexus1User2011

Nexus1User2011 New Member

I have a Nexus 1, and I also got the T-Mobile upsell page while in usb tethered mode on a rooted device.

They are checking for the user-agent. If I start chrome like this:

google-chrome --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Nexus One Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1"

(That's on Ubuntu, but you can utilize a similar tactic on Windows if you are using Chrome and Firefox make user-agent switching even easier I would assume.)

No more upsell page.
    Sunmellie likes this.
  10. nsandymary

nsandymary Member

I'm on the plan of 49.99 per line and theter is include!!
  11. LunchBB

You might be able to use your phone to tethering. That doesn't mean you have the tethering plan included in your plan.
  12. ParishL31

ParishL31 Well-Known Member

Wait you can't even USB tether anymore? Or is it just Wi-Fi? And has anyone tested Wi-Fi after a root?
  13. LunchBB

You can't use USB tethering too. But if you are tethering to a laptop (windows or mac), you can download PDAnet free in Market that still works.
  14. nsandymary

nsandymary Member

Honestly, I don't know but it's include it in the plan.
  15. LunchBB

Does it show on your bill? Or when you login to, or using the "My Account" program in your phone, that feature is showing in your plan?
  16. pcdebb

pcdebb VIP Member VIP Member

are there any wifi-tether options? when I bought my phone I specifically asked the lady about tethering, specifically asking if I have to be forced to pay for it and she told me it should work like it did with my sensation. I'm rooted but cant find the wireless tether (for root users) app anywhere.
  17. LunchBB

It's not an app. You can go to Setttings, Wireless and Netowrk, Tethering and Portable Hotspot to turn on the feature.

All the previous tmo phone you can turn on WIFI hotspot to use it without problem. For this phone, once it is connected, both the phone and the connected device browser will be redirected to a Tmo upsell page.
  18. nsandymary

nsandymary Member

Yes, it shows on my T-Mobile account and it's free!!
  19. Sportster

Sportster Well-Known Member

Need a wifi tethering option...any available? Have the OG Droid and tether with it. Upgrading to the GS2 here and def will need it. Root an option to get it?
  20. LunchBB

I am waiting for the Nov 13 WIFI calling update before I will root the phone.

Anyhow, I can still tether the phone to computer through PDAnet. Also PDAnet Tablet version for my Galaxy Tab. Both are working fine except PDANet Tablet only work for browser and browser connection only.
  21. pcdebb

pcdebb VIP Member VIP Member

22. protegemini

protegemini Well-Known Member

you can if you root it.
    without having to download an additional app. straight from your phone settings.
    just requires a root, and freezing or deleting certain t-mobile app through titanium backup pro.
  23. Dumberdoor

Dumberdoor Member

I really hate how they started charging for tethering. It's data, who cares how it's used. Can you share wifi with the phone?
  24. nodrogkam

nodrogkam Well-Known Member

if you phone is rooted...use a file explorer app/titanium backup to find and delete tether manager app...DONE.
  25. cheaplikeafox

cheaplikeafox Member

is it pretty easy to root the SG2?
    I read on this website, that the ability to wifi tether had to do with the APN settings...
    T-Mobile Support Community: Tethering and HotSpot not working

they got the wifi tethering to work with the amaze4g. One person said it worked w/o the tethering plan.