No more grounding flaw with leaked Froyo ROM?

Last Updated:

1. crazydog

crazydog Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, I just realized that for the past 30 minutes or so, I had my phone sitting on my comforter while I was tweaking it after installing the leaked Froyo ROM, and it was working!

Before I installed this ROM, my phone would NEVER work while sitting on my comforter without touching a finger to the side (the whole grounding issue).

It sure seems as if this update contained a fix for the grounding issue (like the EVO had a while back IIRC).

Can anyone else confirm this?

Advertisement
    pjspdx likes this.
  2. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

no idea bc ive never had the problem

3. answerman

answerman Well-Known Member

Never had this problem either. Can you be more specific than "my phone would never work"? Just curious.

4. dymmeh

dymmeh Well-Known Member

you can't fix a smashed screen by writing code that says your screen isn't broken..
    so i don't understand why people think improper grounding (a purely hardware issue) can be solved with a software update.

5. Dsoto87

Dsoto87 Well-Known Member

I noticed mine seems to be working also. That grounding flaw was one of my only gripes, and not a major one, and now that it's fixed I absolutely positively undoubtedly love this phone

6. Haelous

Haelous Well-Known Member

Indeed, then the problem clearly was not a grounding flaw in the first place.

I tried it last night and mine does not exhibit this behavior anymore either.

7. crazydog

Well whatever the flaw is supposed to be called, it seems to have been fixed. :p

8. contagous

contagous Well-Known Member

Since I've had my phone in June, my phone has had the common grounding issue, where its has an unresponsive screen on surfaces that aren't grounded.

I have had 4 Dincs, in the time from then till now, and all have had this issue, I just noticed that my Original phone now does not have that issue at all, works perfectly on all surfaces, I don't have any Styrofoam laying around so can;t test on that, but works on my couch, bed, and carpet... Never used to.

What different you say.

Well i'm running the Leaked Froyo OTA Rom. Can everyone who had the problem please if your running this ROM, go test it and report back, looks like HTC might of actually fixed it with software o_O, like they said they would, but no-one believed them.

Anyways, I thought it deserved its own thread, as its quite a big thing for people who have the problem.

MOD feel free to move it, if you need.

Thanks

Conty

9. Dsoto87

Dsoto87 Well-Known Member

There's already a thread like this in the root sub forum, but I'll say it again here. This was one of my only issues with the phone and either the froyo rom or the new radio file seemed to fix it. I can't say for sure which one did it because I installed both at the same time

10. contagous

Ahh I didn't see the one in root forum, just woke up :) thanks for that, and I've had the new ota installed for ages, and never noticed it, but noticed it when I installed froyo, so makes me wonder to

11. contagous

Yup I noticed mine is fixed to

12. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Merging threads.

13. SynisterWolf

SynisterWolf Well-Known Member

i have never had this problem. can someone please explain this or point me to a thread that people are talking about.

14. Mezmryz03

Mezmryz03 Well-Known Member

Ever since I got my DrInc I had the unresponsive screen issue when I used my car mount(Verizon model). Saw this thread and checked it out, no more problem! Don't know what did it, but that's a major gripe that has been resolved. Man I love this phone!

15. crazydog

Basically, certain surfaces would cause the incredible's touch screen to become very (but not completely) unresponsive. Lightly holding a finger to any side of the phone would cause the touchscreen to work fine.

Many people thought this was a hardware flaw, but HTC said that they would be fixing it in a software update. I believe the EVO had this same problem, and that phone had an update a little while back that fixed it (I think rather soon after it came out).

Anyway, the Froyo ROM seems to have solved the issue.

Here's the blog post from this site about it (video included): Does the Droid Incredible Suffer from A Potential Grounding Flaw Causing Touchscreen Issues? | Android Phone Fans (Dated May 18th)

16. Munchkin30

Munchkin30 New Member

anyone else have luck with the leaked froyo?
    I just got my 2nd Dinc replacement that has also the grounding issue - really annoying. I called HTC again and rep #2 first said he wasn't aware of the issue and then put me on hold, came back said that others were in fact having the same issue and blamed it on environmental problems - A/C, etc not allowing the electricity to flow correctly.

He couldn't guarantee that the update would fix it but did say there was a good chance it would.

Curious if i should wait it out for the update or just give up and get another phone?

17. danielevans83

danielevans83 Well-Known Member

wow good call, seems to be fixed for me as well!
    I agree that it probably means it wasnt a grounding issue, because that is hardware, but whatever the cause I'm glad its fixed!

18. Bug Splat

Bug Splat Well-Known Member

Yup, mine is fixed. I had this problem a few times in my car mount. Since I upgraded to the leaked froyo it has not happened at all. What ever the problem was they fixed it.

19. mikep554

mikep554 Member

Fixed for me too. I think it seems more likely that they had some bad sensitivity values compiled in instead of there being some hardware issue.

20. michaelkahl

michaelkahl Well-Known Member

My screen had the unresponsive issue until 2.2
    Just my 0.02

21. titoafric

titoafric Member

I think it's actually the radio update that has fixed the touchscreen responsiveness issue. I just recently installed that update without 2.2 and have not been able to reproduce the flaw. My testing hasn't been rigorous but I've tried it in many different scenarios it has happened in before without a single problem.

22. Valka

Valka Well-Known Member

I'm glad everyone is happy with their phones now. For the record our phones have cases made entirely from plastic. Plastic is an excellent insulator. I have experienced slow touch screen response once or twice but a grounding issue it is not.