• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

no more LED for notifications?

lgbalfa

Aug 15, 2010
new york, ny
this phone is replacing the razr maxx HD and one thing i missed from that phone is the LED notifications.

with this phone it has an "active display" that shows notifications on the screen?

how does this actually work as it seems like it is not doing a good job letting me know when i have a text, email, missed call, etc..

thanks

Yes, active display essentially replaces a notification LED. Settings->Active display. Turn it on if it is not already on (I believe it tries to have you turn it on from a factory setup, but you can set it up later if you miss that.) Select "Manage notification types" to choose which app icons will pulse the display when there are new notifications. The display will pulse every few seconds when new notifications come in, and then slow down. It will not pulse when in your pocket or upside down, but will start again when you remove from your pocket or turn back topside-up. Usually knocking the phone starts notifications again. If there are no pending notifications from any of the apps that you selected in the settings (by default I believe that they are all set), the time will pulse with a lock icon.

If there is a pending notification, you can open the most recent app - the one in the circle when pulsing - by dragging the icon up. If you drag down, it unlocks to the lock screen (or home screen if you have no lock screen.)

Reactions: Whatstreet and Thom
Upvote 0
Great succinct post, Doogald!

One more action you can perform: If a notification is pulsing on the screen, you can also swipe to either side to mute that one.

Just as clarification, swiping to the side mutes all current notifications, not just that one.
Someone here actually made a brilliant suggestion shortly after the phone was released that they change it so that swiping one way would dismiss all current notifications and swiping the other would dismiss just the "top" one, but as far as I know, that has never been implemented.

Reactions: Whatstreet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones