No more MP3 Ring Tones?

Last Updated:

1. Little Darwin

Little Darwin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Before upgrading to 2.1 I was able to use MP3 songs as ring tones, so for the people I associate a song with, I recognize who is calling before looking...

Am I missing something, or is this capability gone with 2.1?

Was there a market place app I was running that I forgot to reload, or is this feature just gone?

Advertisement
  2. aplacetorest

aplacetorest Member

works for me

3. idle19

idle19 Member

work for me as well

4. jonwlewis

jonwlewis Well-Known Member

Works for me. Try RingDroid.

Sent from my Sprint HTC Hero with Tapatalk.

5. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Put them in a folder called "ringtones" on your SD card.

6. Hemlox

Hemlox Well-Known Member

+1

7. owf13

owf13 Member

You can also start playing the song you want in Music, select Menu>Use As Ringtone. There are options for Phone Ringer, Contact Ringer and a Ringtone Trimmer.

jmc55 likes this.
  8. idle19

idle19 Member

+1

that what i did.

9. TeamPEZ

TeamPEZ Well-Known Member

I do have mine set as ringtones on my SD card, but it still won't play when it is assigned to a certain person :(

10. beecool84

beecool84 Member

I used to have trouble locating my mp3 ringtones. Have you tried the app "rings extended" ?

11. americonium

americonium Well-Known Member

I am having the same issue. SOmetimes the phone will ring with an assigned ringtone, sometimes it defaults to the normal ringtone, which is also an MP3. I'm not sure what is causing it, but I am sure that it seems to have a mind of it's own when it comes to what noise the phone makes when I recieve a call.

12. gowcaizer1978

gowcaizer1978 Well-Known Member

Ring Droid doesn't seem to work for me anymore, i can make the ring tone but when i set them to different contacts with ring droid they don't stick. but i can still make ring tones from mp3s with the default music player on the phone. it lets me trim them to use just the part of the song i want.

13. MarvinDog

MarvinDog Member

You don't need to install an app to add an mp3 to the list of available ringtones. Just create a directory on your sd card called \media\audio\ringtones. Put your mp3 in that folder, and it'll show up in your ringtone list with the tag name.

For a custom alarm, add a folder called \media\audio\alarms, and for notifications, add \media\audio\notifications.

14. pilotmills

pilotmills Member

I was having the same issue where none of the contacts that were assigned a ringtone would play that ringtone when they called. I figured out that it worked just fine after a reboot, but BEFORE I used advanced task maganger to kill what I thought were unnecessary apps running in the background. I don't know which app/service, etc it is that links the ringtones to the contacts, but if you typically run a task manager it looks like in 2.1, it will kill the process that allows ringotnes to be linked to specific contacts. Worked just fine in 1.5, so I don't know what changed.

15. meatpopcile

meatpopcile New Member

what worked for me is: go to your default "music" player and play a song, press the menu button and then click "use as ringtone". if you downloaded a song it might be under the folder heading as "unknown artist" and then "download"

16. Sixxx

Sixxx Well-Known Member

Just a tip, if you have your phone mounted to your PC or have the SD card in use in any way the phone will use the default ring tone because it can't access the ringtones folder while the SD card is in use.