• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"No more room on this homescreen"

I get this message every time I install an app, even though there's plenty of room.

What's that all about? :thinking:
I think your homepage (first screen that comes when you switch on your tablet) is not having any space left for new apps to place App Icon/Shortcut.

Try removing the widgets or icons on your home screen and try again.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Ha, ha, Critcher, I know exactly what you mean!! :~) I chuckled when I read the post heading even. I know, my Prime does the same thing, just one of those quirks about it. I've come from 20+ years of pc's in my home and this little thing does so much and weighs less than a purse! Plus in it's Minisuit it's so rugged but undeniably classic like a leather-bound digital journal. But yes, it does give that warning & I've come to find that sometimes it bears out to be true and sometimes false, but like CitizenIdeas said, I think it has something to do with the partially transparent but good-sized Business Calendar widget I have on my home screen plus some folders & shortcuts. You don't have to remove them, but it does seem to end up being a crapshoot if you're going to end up with an icon of your newly installed app or not.

I have two questions about this though; first, does this warning always pertain to the home screen? Or could it be the screen you leave from to go into the Play Store or whathaveyou? I think it's probably the home screen, but I just wasn't sure. Second, do you use Apex Launcher? I do on this tablet, for now, and I was wondering if this was a system notice or if it came from Apex.

Take care,
Jennifer

Upvote 0
DreadNatty08 - Thank you for telling me where the setting is, I had received my Prime, used the stock launcher, Go Launcher (which I was used to from my Atrix) and Apex, so I was having the hardest time remembering where I'd seen that. Do you happen to know if the Amazon App Store or any other common dl sites have that as an option as well? I can see how it would be a dumb toggle to have on to many, but for me it helps keep things organized. I have folders on my homescreen for Games, Communication, Utilities, Music, Browser (from experimenting, who doesn't have more than one?), etc. I like to come 'home' from shopping to find the icons of apps I've picked up so I can drag them into the appropriate folders, or leave them out until they're explored.

Critcher - Hmmm, I wonder if that's what it is indeed! The quirkiness, I mean, obviously DreadNatty08 set me straight as to where the directive to place the icon originated from anyway. Well, thanks for helping me with that too, so it's the screen where the play icon is set that determines the placement of the new app icon.

Ha, well, I laughed at it as well, but if you get behind in cleaning up the screen it will, of course, come to be a true fact - no new app icon on that screen! I always saw it as quirkiness, though I love your idea of laughing at it like a naughty 4 yo! So if it's Apex, I dunno, I may go back to Go Launcher anyway, I love it on my phone, I had folders in my dock and it has wonderful themes & extensions. I seem to recall it had some things lacking in their tablet offering that has since improved (since I see it's updates on my phone). I haven't been able to get used to how with Apex you can't multi select from the app drawer to build a folder or go from the folder to pick apps instead of always being shunted to just one option: go to the app drawer, pick one icon, at a time, get it to the correct desktop, then into a folder of choice. I'd much rather start with a folder of Games & go shopping through my app drawer. I know Apex has had some updates, but I haven't been able to seem to make it work, I guess our gui's don't line up as well as others'. :D I don't think I've figured out how to outfit my dock with Apex even! Btw, speaking of games, thanks for the tip on Cogs, I've gotten the free demo & have it's icon sitting on my homescreen, waiting for the chance to get into it!

Upvote 0
As far as home launchers, I really like Nova (Prime). It's a very lightly skinned version of the stock ICS launcher with just a couple tweaks. One of the great things about it is you can back up all your homescreens and restore them whenever you like. I love it for my Nexus since I wipe everything frequently and have to reload all my screens. (don't do it for my Prime since it's not rooted)

Upvote 0
What's causing it is the screens on your original base launcher is full the secondary launcher aka Nova or go launcher or apex is just running on top of the base one.... I had the same problem and thought to check the base one out and sure enough it was crammed full of icons that had been installed since I started using go launcher..... I deleted them and the message went away

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones