No music in "My Music" & can't play music in "Play music"General

Last Updated: 2012-12-11 12:02:55
  1. Suncrow

Suncrow Member

I loaded a bunch of music on to my SD card using Backup asst plus & when I open "My Music" & go to "My library" the message "There is no music" comes up.
    Also, when I open "Play music" most of the music I loaded won't play & I get the message "can't play title/album".
    Ideas?

Advertisement
  2. quickaudi

quickaudi Well-Known Member Contributor

Rebooted phone?
    Suncrow likes this.
  3. Suncrow

Suncrow Member

Yep. No change.
  4. Adara

Adara Well-Known Member

Is it possible that your music is in your internal storage (while your music app is looking for it on your external SD card)? If so, try moving your music.

(I'm sorry I'm not more definitive. I had a similar problem but can't remember how I solved it. But I'm thinking that this is what I would have tried.)
  5. Suncrow

Suncrow Member

According to the size of the drive, it must be the SD card.
    Is there a way to change the drive those apps look at for music?
  6. carracerz14

carracerz14 Well-Known Member

The music app will automatically find the music there is no way to tell it where to look. Not with the stock player anyway
  7. Suncrow

Suncrow Member

So, any other suggestions? Reboot 'til the music shows up? ??
    Thanks for the help...
  8. carracerz14

Download a sd rescan app from the play store and use that. I have always used that when my music won't show up and it works fine. Although one reboot should be enough. Are you sure the file types are supported?
  9. Adara

Adara Well-Known Member

Er... perhaps going into Manage Apps, force a close of the music app and clear the cache?

(This would probably kill your playlists, but I'm thinking it might force your music app into starting fresh.)
    Suncrow likes this.
  10. carracerz14

Clearing cache won't lose anything. If you clear the data then you will
  11. Suncrow

Suncrow Member

Downloaded Rescan SD & ran it, no joy. Opened manage apps & forced close. Still no luck. "My music" shows no data on SD card in Manage app page. Also, cache shows no data. Rebooted phone.
    I am not sure if the files types I loaded are supported. They were CDs loaded to PC, then uploaded to phone through Backup asst Plus.
    I can play some of the music through "Play music" but not all of it.
    ??
  12. carracerz14

Your problem may lie in backup assistant, I would try just plunging your phone in and dragging and dropping files to the music folder
    Suncrow likes this.
  13. Suncrow

Suncrow Member

Thanks! Will give that a try!
    carracerz14 likes this.
  14. Mistabonez

Mistabonez Member

Make sure you ripped your CD music to an MP3 file format, the original music player does not recognize WMA files.
  15. arparaspolo

arparaspolo Well-Known Member

Did you freeze any moto apps? If you have the Motocast ID or similar apps frozen, try defrosting them one by one. I can't remember which one exactly it is, but if frozen, none of your music will show up.
  16. quickaudi

maybe they were ripped as .wma files? not sure Google has license for those...
  17. Suncrow

Suncrow Member

OK, after dragging & dropping one disc, the cover shows up in My music, but still will not play. Checked the original files on the computer & the ones that work in Play music are mp3 files, the others were ripped as wma files.

As far as whether I froze any Moto apps, I have no idea what that is or how to do it. Sorry, novice here...

Is there a way to change the format of the files once they are ripped to the computer, like change the wma files to mp3?
  18. Grey1001

Grey1001 Well-Known Member

19. quickaudi

And make sure to change your rip settings for future use.
    Also, you could delete the .WMA files and re-rip the the CD.
    Suncrow likes this.
  20. Suncrow

Suncrow Member

quickaudi- That's what I decided to do. It will take a while, but I'll do just the discs I intend to load on the phone until I get some time to do other music. And, I did change the settings.
    Everything works fine after reloading with the new files ripped as mp3...
    Thanks so much to you all!
  21. Suncrow

Suncrow Member

Loaded mp3 ripped discs onto phone. My music still only shows music in Playlist. I think I am going to give up on that app. Play music works just fine...
  22. Suncrow

Suncrow Member

Still have fragmented albums in Google Play, Play music, Rocket Player & WinAmp. Have tried all above suggestions multiple times.
    Any other suggestions?
  23. Suncrow

Suncrow Member

Still have fragmented albums in Google Play, Play music, Rocket Player & WinAmp. Have tried all above suggestions multiple times.
    Any other suggestions?
  24. quickaudi

Do the id3 tags show the correct info?
  25. elcameano

elcameano Well-Known Member

My playlist clears itself....I have a couple playlists and 2 times now i will go to the list and they will be empty. The list name is still there but you clock on that list and no music is in there. Anyone ran into that?