1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

No new dialer on 4.4 ota?Support

1. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

Hi

I got the OTA today, and I didn't really see many new features. Go Launcher EX had MAJOR issues right off the bat. Try troubleshooting when your screen is black...

Everything seems to be working, very fast.
    But I have no new dialer, and from other screenshots it seems that I am missing other things. The dialer is definitely not different.

What am I missing here?
    I just let the OTA run.

Advice?
    Nick

Advertisement
    :
  2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

The Google dailer is a nexus 5 exclusive I'm pretty sure
  3. inssane

Yes got it.
    Couple of other screenshots look different in areas, but some are overseas I guess.
    OK, with the rough start I wasn't sure if it was a conflict that needed a hard wipe.

I'm DLing the apk now.
    Thx
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Doesn't the maxx run Motorola's skin? If so it likely won't look like screenshots of stock 4.4

I'd try to see if there are any screenshots out there specifically from your device. :thumbup:
  5. inssane

And for those that are experimenting with the apk..
    I couldn't add an 'activity' shortcut on EX launcher, so I went to ES explorer, found the apk, and created a shortcut on my desktop/homescreen.
  6. inssane

I'm still trying to figure out what's drastically new. A couple of functions, but nothing magical imo. Maybe I'll uncover more later.
  7. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Most of the look changes of KitKat on the Nexus particularly - the transparent status bar; the white vs. holo blue network icons; the new dialer; the new launcher - are *NOT* part of the Droid update. The look remains the same as under Jellybean.

We have a thread that detail some of the changes that we have noticed here: http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-maxx/810705-ota-kitkat-update.html

The official list from Verizon is here: http://support.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/system_update/droid-ultra-maxx.pdf

Among other things not listed there, there is now a settings->home to set the default launcher if you have a third party launcher installed; a default SMS setting in settings->more (under wireless & networks). There was an update to the Assist app today to improve driving support for KitKat phones.
    Rxpert83 and inssane like this.
  8. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

... it will list multiple third party launchers and you can pick the one you want.

The semi-transparent notification bar is there with Nova Launcher Prime.

The thrust of Kit Kat seems to be to bring less powerful devices up to date. On the Maxx I wondered what the big deal was.

Did you do a Factory data Reset after the update?

... Thom
  9. RandolphNY

RandolphNY Well-Known Member

I have to agree, What changed?

I did get a message after installing that there were all of these trusted credentials. I really don't like having these. Has anyone deleted or cleared all of them?

I understand that those of us that use foxfi will have to wait for some type of update.
  10. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, it sucks eggs that with Kit Kat we can no longer use wireless tether with FoxFi. Truthfully it's not as big of a deal for me as it is many users that travel or use the feature more than I do. I need to do this about 3 weeks per year. If no solution presents itself I will just call and have tethering added for the times that I need it. Looks like it will probably cost me about $35 per year to have it. ($50 tethering plan divided by 30 days x's 7 days x's 3 weeks = $35).
  11. Somniferum

Somniferum Well-Known Member

A few other KitKat goodies on the Maxx:

o) You can choose ART instead of Dalvik runtime for faster app loading times (a few apps have issues with ART but most work fine)
    o) Tap-to-pay now works in Google Wallet (host card emulation)
    o) Bluetooth Low Energy support (FitBit tracker, etc.)
    o) Battery percent can be displayed natively on the icon (install Percent Enabler to toggle)
  12. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

To set this up:

settings->about phone. Tap "build number" about 10 times to enable the developer menu. The ART/Dalvik choice is in the developer menu.

I found this very hard to read. Still, it's nice to have - and better on the holo blue battery icon of the Maxx than on the white battery icon of the Moto X. It also does not show 100%.