No notification or ringers when screen is off?

Last Updated:

1. Eagle923

Eagle923 Member This Topic's Starter

I got a Droid about 2 weeks ago and I'm having a few small problems after coming from using Blackberrys for years.

1) After the phone goes to "sleep" and the screen locks, I'm not getting any ringers or notifications. I've missed a number of calls with my phone just sitting on the desk.

Is there something I'm missing somewhere? It rings fine if the screen is on.

2) I use an IMAP/POP3 email address (.edu email) and my gmail. The POP3 will push to the phone OK for a bit(maybe 3-4hrs?) and then I don't get notifications anymore. If I turn the phone off and back on, it will check normally for a while before stopping again. I have the check interval set to 30min.

Thanks for any help!

Advertisement
  2. Timaphillips

Timaphillips Well-Known Member

Are you playing music through the auxiliary Jack by chance before audio cuts out on notifications? If so, make sure to pause the music and then pull the cable. There's also an apk around u can download called audio toggle that once opened, sets audio parameters back to default as a workaround. It comes with droidmod, not sure about the other roms.

3. Eagle923

No, no music beforehand. It just rings/notifies for a bit and then it won't.

As an example:

I got a phone call today ~8:30am and a few emails around the start of the day. The phone rang (while sitting on the countertop in standby) and both emails "jingled" their tunes when they arrived. About 2pm, I got a phone call and the phone was in my pocket. The phone didn't ring, vibrate or otherwise notify me of the call. I happened to check around 2:20pm and noticed I had a missed call and an email. All had come between 1:30 and 2:20pm with no notifications/rings.

4. Timaphillips

Timaphillips Well-Known Member

Good cell service where this happens?

5. Eagle923

Hmm, I was at work and didn't bother to check. Although it does happen at home, where I have great signal.

I just tested a few things, it seems to happen more when it is in my pocket. It seems to work OK if it is sitting on a desk. Maybe a proximity sensor issue or something?

6. refuzeandrezizt

refuzeandrezizt Well-Known Member

I've noticed, from time to time, that when I pull my Droid out of my pocket, it will only have one bar or so. Before I can say what the he**, it pops up to full bars. Not sure why a pocket would make that much difference. I forget what program I looked at once that said what percent of the time I had no signal, but it showed it didn't like 10% of the time, even though I have never seen the phone with no service. Weird I guess, and doesn't really help you, but thought I would throw it out there.

7. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

I think the "in your pocket" is the key to your solution. It is real easy to hit the rocker and silence your phone when in your pocket. Bet you are hitting the rocker. There are apps out to stop this from happening.
    Check your volume level when you retrieve it from your pocket.

8. Eagle923

Hmm, its definitely something to do with my pocket. Although the rocker doesn't seem to function if the screen is off, so I'm not sure that is the problem.

I'm going to test a few things today if I get a chance. Call myself from a landline with the phone active, sitting on a desk with the screen off/locked, in my pocket...etc. Also send emails or whatnot and see if I'm getting those jingles.

My wife suggested I'm just not feeling/hearing the phone when its in my pocket (easy solution?!) since my old blackberry about shook my pocket off. The droid has a very soft vibrate to it.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.