• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help no notification sound when receiveing an sms

wellos

Lurker
Sep 10, 2010
Hi all
I purchased 2 HTC desire phones and whilst I am happy with them it appears there may be a bug as both phones seem to do it.

Occasionally when a text message is received for some reason the notification sound doesnt go off. I know this for sure as I have had the phone right next to me waiting on a message thinking I didnt get it only to discover later it was actually delivered but no sound.

Is this a known issue and if so is there a fix for it.

Very frustrating

Thanks

I'm sure I've had this too, although admiteddly, not very often. I just assumed it had made the sound and that I had just missed it. It is very easy to miss a message on the Desire as it only makes the sound once. It would be nice if there was a setting that reminded you after a user determined amount of time.

Upvote 0
Occasionally when a text message is received for some reason the notification sound doesnt go off. I know this for sure as I have had the phone right next to me waiting on a message thinking I didnt get it only to discover later it was actually delivered but no sound.
If you have the Messages app open at the time when a new message arrives, the Desire does not trigger the Notification sound as the phone assumes you're smart enough to see that it arrived and it doesn't need to blare out the alert in your face.
:D
As long as the app is closed or the screen is off, the alert will sound, or at least it should and it does 100% for my phone. I've noticed missed alerts when I'm away from the phone like in the shower or out getting the mail, but that's different.

There is a flashing notification LED to alert you to a missed call or text, but for some demented reason HTC limited it to 5mins. My wife has the HTC Legend and the notification LED will flash until it's acknowledged, which is what the Desire should do - this is one of my very few beefs with the Desire. I contacted HTC about this and asked if a firmware update can change it, but they insisted it's a hardware limitation (which I seriously doubt) and firmware can't fix it. And it was designed like this to limit battery drain from the LED which I also scoughed at since the LED drain for a whole week would be less than briefly turning on the screen to see if you missed anything, which you have to do to check for missed alerts.
:(
Years ago when I switched from Motorola to the iPhone, I really missed the flashing LED for alerts. When I looked at Android and noticed that most if not all phones have an LED alert, I was very happy about it. But HTC screwed up with this 5mins limit on the Desire. I hope they fix it in a future release or at least never limit it again in other phone designs. Somebody was sleeping at their desk when that idea came along.

Reactions: MDesire2010
Upvote 0
If you have the Messages app open at the time when a new message arrives, the Desire does not trigger the Notification sound as the phone assumes you're smart enough to see that it arrived and it doesn't need to blare out the alert in your face.
:D
As long as the app is closed or the screen is off, the alert will sound, or at least it should and it does 100% for my phone. I've noticed missed alerts when I'm away from the phone like in the shower or out getting the mail, but that's different.

There is a flashing notification LED to alert you to a missed call or text, but for some demented reason HTC limited it to 5mins. My wife has the HTC Legend and the notification LED will flash until it's acknowledged, which is what the Desire should do - this is one of my very few beefs with the Desire. I contacted HTC about this and asked if a firmware update can change it, but they insisted it's a hardware limitation (which I seriously doubt) and firmware can't fix it. And it was designed like this to limit battery drain from the LED which I also scoughed at since the LED drain for a whole week would be less than briefly turning on the screen to see if you missed anything, which you have to do to check for missed alerts.

Thanks for this! I had kind of come to the same conclusion that the Desire only made the notification sound when "Messages" wasn't open. Thanks for solidifying that suspicion! I find it unlikely this would be a hardware limitation to keep the LED alert on. I suspect there are Apps available to do so.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this! I had kind of come to the same conclusion that the Desire only made the notification sound when "Messages" wasn't open. Thanks for solidifying that suspicion! I find it unlikely this would be a hardware limitation to keep the LED alert on. I suspect there are Apps available to do so.
Apparently there are apps that will keep the alert LED going, but I haven't bothered with them yet as it's not that urgent. Generally I've found that I rarely miss a notification as my phone is almost always with me, but I'd still like to have the LED flash until I acknowledge it.

Upvote 0

Download an app called Missed Reminder and you can set it to fire the LED repeatedly until you acknowledge it. The LED is the only alert I use so it's an invaluable app.

If audible alerts are your thing you can set it to repeat the audible alert as often as you want too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones