No OGG support? Seriously?

Last Updated:

1. skell

skell Member This Topic's Starter

Somewhat shocked that the media player did not detect OGG files on my USB external HD -- only MP3. My Nexus One plays OGG files without an issue.

I just assumed, considering the open nature of Android *and* the OGG format, that OGG would be supported by the native player.

Add this to the wish list for future updates I guess...

Advertisement
  2. simplygoogletv

simplygoogletv Member

Strange, Logitech says they support OGG on USB devices. Are you on the Revue or a Sony?

3. skell

I'm on the Sony. Can anyone confirm?

4. StrifeJester

StrifeJester Well-Known Member

It could be Sony being Sony, but I still find that strange I will try it on my Revue tonight when I get home. AFAIK OGG support is native to Android since many of the phones use OGG for ringtones. If I hear more or after I test it on my Revue I will let you know.

5. skell

Any update Strife?

6. StrifeJester

Didn't get a chance last night forgot about a club meeting I had to go to and then never even turned my TV on. Poor Google TV sat there lonely all day.

7. StrifeJester

Loaded about 20 ogg files. They all played fine.

8. skell

Just tried it again. I put about 4 files onto a 2GB USB stick. No go. "There are no files to display" or something like that when I move to the directory that holds the OGG files.

Would be nice for another Sony user to confirm. Support for OGG should be as simple as compiling in the support or not, so it was a conscious decision by Sony not to add it.

9. StrifeJester

Its starting to look that way. I would try a AATC or whatever the hell Sony's format is once. I agree though blocking ogg is a bad move on Sony's part. Sony has a chance to put this in every TV it makes moving forward and could drive it into a lot of homes. I hope Sony gets this worked out, but maybe its not in Google TV and Logitech built it into their player. Unfortunately you may be SOL until the market comes next spring.