• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

no one makes games for android / sick of iphone

I am sick of the iphone getting everything

Seriously I hope this is the right place to post this but I am just sick about every developer developing for the iphone. Do people even develope for android still? Every day I hear about "new great iphone games" and I am like "oh how great for you" while we don't seem to get any games.

I am on the Samsung Galaxy S which is more advanced than the iphone 4 but it seems like no one cares to code for android. What's the point in having a superior 3d chip if there are no 3d games? There is Asphalt and that seems to be about it (almost). I hope I am mistaken (yeh I know there are SOME other 3d games. Anyways feel free to mentoin every one you can think of).

Anyways what's just up with all the support for iOS and no Android support?

Also why does Samsung have to tease me so badly?
When I run their Samsung Kies program I see a lot of great looking games like Kroll or Bruce Lee but of course those are BADA games (kroll being an iphone port).
They are porting iphone games to BADA now.

I mean come on BADA. Is everyone ignoring Android now?

Reactions: EgoDogg
Give it another year or so and Android will be fine game wise. It took a while for Iphone to gain support and now the same thing will happen to Android. I myself own an Android phone but like you am disgusted with the little amount of games that I will end up with an Ipod Touch 4th gen by Christmas to tide me over. Google really needs to get moving. Where is the Google book store, why does game support suck so much, what about a rental and movie/music store like Itunes? I think the crazy amount of different Android phones and the different power of their hardware makes it pretty hard for Devs to support Android. With the Iphone they know exactly what baseline to program for and its easier to fix bugs etc.

Upvote 0
Unfortunatly from a business stand point it doesn't make sense to develop games for Android when compare to iPhone yet.

1) iOS market share is much bigger then Android internationally. Add in the fact that Android only allow paid app in few countries (last time i check 4: US, UK, Germany, Japan) vs iPhone in over 73 countries. iPhone App Store's user bases is at least 10x the size of Android Market place.

2) it take much more effort to develop game for Android then for iOS. Game development is not easy and usually require heavy optimization to get full use of the device hardware. iOS platform only have 4 hardware variation (iPad, iPhone 4/iTouch 4, iPhone 3gs/iTouch 3gen, and older i devices). Android have tons of hardward variations (keybord/no keyboard, 10+ screen resolutions, 6+ different CPU, 5+ different GPU, 5+ different ram amount, 5 different OS versions, etc) So it is extremely hard to develop games compare to iOS.

3) Piracy is way to rampart on Android platform, most popular game are cracked within few hour of release, and any Android phone can install a cracked games/apps. Compare to iOS where it is much harder to load a cracked app on the device(jailbreak device + other obscure software needed).

So i think those issue make iOS much more attractive platform to develop for then Android. For most game developer that faces the choice between the 2, iOS always come first. Only if the game was a success on iOS, then will the developer even think about porting the game to Android (Angry Bird, Galcon, etc).

So i think right now the fault lies with Google. If they strengthen the DRM protection on paid apps, push all android phones to Froyo and beyond, and bring Paid Android apps to all countries, maybe then will Android Market stand a remote chance to attract more game developer to develop for Android.

Upvote 0
I think once more developers realize that android is actually a good gamin platform we will see many more good apps. Just look at angry birds. over 1million downloads on release day, and its a good quality game that scales well to lower end devices. most of the time when I want to play a game, I hook up my wii classic controller to my phone, through it in the docking station and boot up what ever emulator and rom im feeling. (lately GB and pokemon :p)

Upvote 0
Another problem may be the size limit that google restricts developers too on the Market.

I asked the Root 9 developers about the full version release of their titles Penguin X Run and they said it is bing delayed because they need to change some things to get it under the 25mb upload restriction. I had no idea there was a restriction, and now that I do I find tha very annoying, and a hinderance to the developers, esepcially for cool 3d titles such as that, or others like NFS Shift and upcoming Madden.

Some info about the game can be found here:
http://androidforums.com/android-games/212868-penguin-x-run.html

Upvote 0
I don't think it is a PSP phone, it certainly won't play PSP games.

I think what will be done in regards to the PSP sphone, is that it wil;l have a seperate market place with PSP games. the main issue is hardware acceleration, once droid gets that better quality games will start to make their rounds.

I personally just want the new SE psp phone for that game pad.

Upvote 0
Unfortunatly from a business stand point it doesn't make sense to develop games for Android when compare to iPhone yet.

1) iOS market share is much bigger then Android internationally. Add in the fact that Android only allow paid app in few countries (last time i check 4: US, UK, Germany, Japan) vs iPhone in over 73 countries. iPhone App Store's user bases is at least 10x the size of Android Market place.

2) it take much more effort to develop game for Android then for iOS. Game development is not easy and usually require heavy optimization to get full use of the device hardware. iOS platform only have 4 hardware variation (iPad, iPhone 4/iTouch 4, iPhone 3gs/iTouch 3gen, and older i devices). Android have tons of hardward variations (keybord/no keyboard, 10+ screen resolutions, 6+ different CPU, 5+ different GPU, 5+ different ram amount, 5 different OS versions, etc) So it is extremely hard to develop games compare to iOS.

3) Piracy is way to rampart on Android platform, most popular game are cracked within few hour of release, and any Android phone can install a cracked games/apps. Compare to iOS where it is much harder to load a cracked app on the device(jailbreak device + other obscure software needed).

So i think those issue make iOS much more attractive platform to develop for then Android. For most game developer that faces the choice between the 2, iOS always come first. Only if the game was a success on iOS, then will the developer even think about porting the game to Android (Angry Bird, Galcon, etc).

So i think right now the fault lies with Google. If they strengthen the DRM protection on paid apps, push all android phones to Froyo and beyond, and bring Paid Android apps to all countries, maybe then will Android Market stand a remote chance to attract more game developer to develop for Android.

^ Pretty much all of this, plus issues (percieved or otherwise) with the marketplace - with it being completely unmoderated, it can be quite hard for a title to get noticed. We've done our game as a side-project, but I really feel for devs who are trying to make it their primary income - it's a tough nut to crack unless you've already got a successful title on the iPhone. And the fragmentation really is an issue - when we made Shrimpocalypse, we made the decision to make it run on pretty much every Android handset. That meant 2d, and even keeping the number of frames of animation, sprite size, etc down. Mr Toast's Galaxy S barely bats an eyelid when running it, but the G1 struggles a little. There's a huge difference between the top end and the bottom end, but if you draw the line you risk losing potential players.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the great replies :)

@Smultron: there is a lot that is just wrong with the samsung galaxy S- SADLY.

i thought it would be the strongest android phone on the market but I could give you a big list of what's wrong with it.

Go to kotaku.com and click on LOG IN at the top (doesn't matter if you have an account or not). You will NOT be able to log in. The log in window will always be outside of your Galaxy S screen. It is terrible. The window always adjusts itself. It works fine on my HTC Magic with Donut.

@Extr3m1st: I think that is exactly the problem and why Android will never be succesful. The hardware is too different. With iphone people know what the device is capable of.

@gordon1hd1: WOW I didn't know it was only US, UK, Germany, Japan. WHY GOOGLE WHY?

@Vanquished: GOOD LORD WHAT IS JUST WRONG WITH GOOGLE REALLY? 25 mb is a joke. Why do I even need 16 gb if games are only allowed to be 25 MB. It'S a joke.

I also don't get the whole Android Market / Samsung apps deal. Why are there special Samsung Apps I can get in their own market? And those games asphalt and that konami crazy racers that got a different name though are like 75 MB.

@AlbertPucciani: No need to be sorry. You are VERY welcome. This looks like a fun game. I will give it a try.

@lekky: I want names ;)

Upvote 0
I would say one of the main reasons is the market is severely lacking in features.
There are tons of companies making horrible ports and or shooting themselves in the foot and then cry about bad sales. Examples enclude doodle jump and uno HD. Doodle jump is a horrible port and they charge like 3 dollars more for it on android. Uno HD and they're horrible method of not adding it to the market.

But I honestly think we're at the turning point. Companies are finally seeing android as not a risk to develop for, but a market you MUST develop for if you don't want to miss out. We'll be seeing more and more developers for android. Just got to support those that succeed and point out why they failed for those that do. Like Angry birds is a great success and they deserve all the fan fair that they've got, while companies that do a halfass job like facebook's app or doodle jump deserve 1 star ratings and refunds of the game. Don't reward companies for bad work.
Unfortunately from a business stand point it doesn't make sense to develop games for Android when compare to iPhone yet.

I agree with your first point fully, but it's your second and more so the third I don't.

Just like in terms of computer games, its windows that is developed for more than mac or linux, yet windows has much more variations with hardware better worse graphics card, and operating systems of tons of people on xp/vista/7 w/e. There's far more "fragmentation" on windows than on mac yet more people develop for windows? I won't argue my views of how overplayed "fragmentation" is on the android vs iphone because this isn't about this, but just like android vs iphone the devs just have to program for it. There's things that devs will like more and less, but that's not really a reason to not develop for it. Especially if shows a larger user base.

As for your third point piracy is just as easy on the iphone as it is on android. I completely call BS on that claim. Any idiot that wants to read a simple thread can get pirated apps for both operation systems. Hell, when android was still young, my friend who's an iphone user said one of the reason he wouldn't go for android is BECAUSE he can't pirate apps. There's a lot of people that pirate on both. Just like there's a lot of piracy in video games (pc, ds, wii, etc) but they still make a profit. Even the movie industry is at record breaking ticket purchases, but continue to cry about all these pirated movies while they enjoy record breaking sales. There's also those that "pirate" apps to test them out and then purchase it, which you could argue is actually LESS on android because of the awesome refund policy on android.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the great replies :)
@Vanquished: GOOD LORD WHAT IS JUST WRONG WITH GOOGLE REALLY? 25 mb is a joke. Why do I even need 16 gb if games are only allowed to be 25 MB. It'S a joke.

I think one way some developers have gotten around it is making the game under that limit, then having the large file installed from their own servers when you get into the game. Still, it does prevent people from wanting to use the market, hurting both them and the OS.

I just wish EA would start making some titles...I want Madden or NCAAF!

Upvote 0
there is a lot that is just wrong with the samsung galaxy S- SADLY.

One element on one website you have found is broken. That is not 'a lot wrong'. However, I agree there can be issues with this phone - mine is the famous lagging issue on the Galaxy S, at the moment. Haven't found much else to fault for my uses, which are quite varied.

@Extr3m1st: I think that is exactly the problem and why Android will never be succesful. The hardware is too different. With iphone people know what the device is capable of.
'Never be successful'? Woah, harsh. I'd say Android has been really quite successful already as it has grown, and that doesn't show signs of abating. The idea of having hardware choice necessitates that dreaded 'fragmentation'. And yes, it's a factor, many things in life come with positives and negatives. What seems clear is that you prefer the apple and iphone way of doing things. You'd rather be stuck without the options for expandable memory, a smaller screen, etc, and stay with the 'successful' phone system. OK, and I can understand that myself - so why not stick to it instead of gripping about the alternative?

@gordon1hd1: WOW I didn't know it was only US, UK, Germany, Japan. WHY GOOGLE WHY?
Don't believe everything you read on a forum. From Paid App Availability - Android Market Help

Priced applications are currently only available to users in the following countries:
  • Argentina
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong
  • India
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Russia
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
We're working hard to add more countries, so please stay tuned!
I also don't get the whole Android Market / Samsung apps deal. Why are there special Samsung Apps I can get in their own market?
That's just Samsung fluff. You'll find that kind of thing on many, many devices. As far as it goes it's not that bad - they provide a decent paid game for free, I don't think that's something to complain about. Otherwise, you can safely just ignore it.

Upvote 0
Saw a quick blip on a TV out somewhere I was going. All I saw was:
"iPhone user pay 5X for apps what Android users do".....or something like that. Didn't know if that meant the market is 5x more or the apps cost 5X as much. Thinking it was the former and not the latter.
On average, Android apps are definitely more pricey than iOS apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones