No Picasa in Google Account SetupSupport

Last Updated:

1. atnbirdie

atnbirdie Guest This Topic's Starter

Just got my Incredible. Everything seems to be working fine except - no Picasa. I set up the phone with my Google account and calendar, mail, contacts are all synced fine. However, no Picasa albums in Photos section. Went to Account setup, clicked on Google account, no Picasa there either. On my wife's Droid (OS v2.1 also) Picasa is listed under Google account options.
    Is this an Incredible bug or am I missing something?

Advertisement
    njperry likes this.
  2. CrustyJuggler

CrustyJuggler Active Member

There's an app for that.

njperry likes this.
  3. atnbirdie

Really? I see several Picasa apps (Picasa Slideshow, one click, Too Pro, etc.), but they seem like add ons to manipulate files. All I want is to have my Picasa web folder show up in the photos section. That is supposed to be native in Android v2.1 and as I said, is on my wife's Droid.

4. bucwylde23

bucwylde23 Well-Known Member

I also was looking forward to the Picasa sync. Any way that we can get it on our phones?

5. tjubb

tjubb Active Member

Try this app:
    Gallery3D Apk - xda-developers
    You'll need to check off 'unknown sources' in your settings to run the installation:
    Menu > Settings > Applications > Unknown Sources

I just installed it and it looks great!

6. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

I thought it was supposed to autosync since android 1.5/1.6. Could it be because of private albums. All mine are private, which made picking contact pictures harder.

7. joehero

joehero Active Member

While I am thinking about it:

My wife and I have a joint Picasa/Email account. Will I be able to set up the gallery app to use that account rather than the one I will set up for contacts/email?

8. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

I'm guessing not. I have the same problem, it would also be nice to sync contacts with my wife, but we have to do it by hand.

9. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy Well-Known Member

I have a couple questions... do the pictures for contacts in gmail download to the DI's phonebook? I was going to go through and add pictures to contacts on gmail if so. Also, do the pictures on Facebook automatically show up on the contacts in the phone book that are synced?

Trying to get everything ready for the phone tomorrow.

10. bucwylde23

bucwylde23 Well-Known Member

Yep, any pictures in your gmail contacts will sync up. Also if you add pics on your phone it will sync back to the site.

11. lukem

lukem Well-Known Member

This was the 1 most thing I missed from the Droid and like that, we're back in action. Thanks! I just installed it and am syncing now.

[​IMG]

12. whiskeyguy

Nice. Pretty excited for my first smart phone to arrive tomorrow.

13. DocTauri

DocTauri Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or can Gallery NOT see the pictures you take with the camera, since they're stored in /emmc (the internal 8GB)...

Edit: Just checked again. Nope, can't see them... If you go into the Camera apps settings, you can change storage to the SD card to get around this, but this internal 8GB is worthless.

krispy_mobile likes this.
  14. atnbirdie

I've read that imported Apps (as opposed to those native to the phone) can't see the internal 8GB storage. I don't have the Gallery App but have my Inc set to store pictures on phone. It puts them all in the 8GB internal storage and I can see them in Photos just fine.

I still don't think we should need an external app to see the Picasa web albums as that functionality is native as of Android OS v2.1.

15. atnbirdie

Not sure you can do that. My wife and I have separate Gmail accounts, but she used to just use mine. Once she got her Droid, I set her up her own Picasa account associated with her email. Now we just share albums and that seems to work for us. Hope this helps.

16. DocTauri

DocTauri Well-Known Member

Agreed on that we shouldn't need Gallery.

But, on mine, if I launch the Car Panel, then click Footprints, it tells me to insert the SD card, so not even the preloaded (native) apps are immune to this.

17. atnbirdie

How? I downloaded the SDK. Used Astro to find it ((Gallery3D) icon in SDCard root directory. Tap on it, select Open App Manager, click install, Click install again, it starts intalling then about 0.5 sec later I get error message that application not installed. I did check "install from unknown sources".
    What am I missing?

18. atnbirdie

Found out a little while ago after calling HTC that "Photos" replaces "Gallery" on the Inc which as we've found out, doesn't include Picasa sync. They recommended a Picasa one click photo Uploader (2nd app that shows up in store if you search on Picasa), but it was not at all intuitive or easy to set up (which I never bothered to finish doing.
    I also tried Picasa Tool Pro, which works OK, but you can't zoom by pinching (have to use "+" and "-" icons on screen). Someone else in the HTC forums recommended Just Pictures! which works pretty well. You have to tap on a picture to enlarge it from its album, then tap it again if you want to pinch zoom it, but it seems to work well.
    I'll be interested in seeing how Just Pictures! compares to Gallery3D sdk if I can ever get that installed.

19. oim415

oim415 Member

I just installed the gallery 3D app in my Incredible and when I launch it it says "There are no items in your collection." the menu button does nothing. Is there somewhere I have to set up my Picasa account?

20. atnbirdie

How did you manage? I downloaded the SDK. Used Astro to find it ((Gallery3D) icon in SDCard root directory. Tap on it, select Open App Manager, click install, Click install again, it starts intalling then about 0.5 sec later I get error message that application not installed. I did check "install from unknown sources".
    What am I missing?

21. energyguy78

energyguy78 Active Member

This gallery app is very awesome. Thanks for the tip.

22. atnbirdie

Could you please look at my earlier posts describing my trouble installing Gallery3D and see if you can shed light on why it won't install for me?
    Thanks

23. whiskeyguy

I think the pictures have to be public. That seems to be the case with Just Pictures, which is what I use. Kinda sucks.

24. oim415

oim415 Member

I changed one of my my albums to Public but still "no items in your collection" message.

25. oim415

oim415 Member

Never mind. I just got it working. When the Gallery launches, there was an alert that it was asking for permission into my Picasa account, which I did not notice. Once I acknowledged and allowed permission, all of my albums, both private and public are available. Awesome!!! Thanks.