No Recovery Boot Issue

Last Updated:

1. Pappy35

Pappy35 Well-Known Member

I've rooted my N7. Out of curiosity, I went into bootloader mode and toggled over to Recovery. When I do, the poor little Android Guy is laying on his back with a red triangle.

What does this mean? I'm concerned I may have screwed something up.

2. CYNICALifornia

CYNICALifornia Well-Known Member

Did you update to 4.2? Reflash TWRP.

What I gather form people who know about these things is that 4.2 breaks recovery.
  3. Pappy35

Well, I updated to 4.2. Saw the injured Android, went back to 4.1.2, he was OK. Then back to 4.2 and he's dead again.

If it were working, what does the Recovery mode do? I mean, I presume it 'Recovers' (haha) but what's it intent? Reflash some stored ROM or something like that?
  4. CYNICALifornia

CYNICALifornia Well-Known Member

Recover does many wonderful things! It does allow you to flash packages (updates, ROMs, Kernels, Mods).

It also allows you to make a full system back-up, and to restore from that backup (this is commonly called a nandroid).

It also allows you to wipe your cache and dalvik cache, which is handy if things get buggy.
    thetingster and Rxpert83 like this.
  5. carracerz14

carracerz14 Well-Known Member

Updating deletes custom recoverys you will need to reflash cwm or twrp using fastboot prompts.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  6. Pappy35

Ok. I get it. So on a bone-stock tablet, fresh ou tof the box and OTA updated, that's what one would see I guess.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  7. idic

idic Well-Known Member

When you see the android on his back press the power key then while holding it tap the volume up key. That will open up a menu where you can do stuff!
  8. carracerz14

carracerz14 Well-Known Member

That would be stock recovery though. Can't do much in there