No Recovery mode?

1. By_design

By_design Well-Known Member

I have tried the standard "power button + home + volume up" method . I have also used a couple apps that do by just pressing a button. All of these get me to a screen that is labeled Odin mode. Odin mode from my understanding is just another download mode. I done searches and haven't found any other post with this kind of unbelievable problem. My real question is what are the implications of not having a recovery mode. Does this mean my phone can brick and be unrecoverable? If this is a problem that is unique to only Samsung Galaxy S4 please move this post to the appropriate forum.

Advertisement
    :
  2. nsuchy2013

nsuchy2013 Well-Known Member

Just download the ODIN tool for your phone and then flash from there. It's a little harder to find ODIN images but just ask on the forum for your phone and someone will have an image. Currently I just have my Kindle Fire HD 7" and I have to always to flash it through fastboot and I had to buy a fastboot cable. Android devices with locked bootloaders do have their issues. I'll see if I can find you an ODIN image.
  3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

I am moving this thread to the S4 section where other users will be able to explain it to you.

If you are running completely stock, unrooted, you should be able to access recover mode. Are you trying the key combination while plugged in to your PC with the USB cable? I think your phone has to be unplugged.
  4. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

5. By_design

By_design Well-Known Member

I am rooted running stock 4.2. maybe I have to figure out how to unlock the bootloader in order to get a recovery mode. With Odin is it actually possible to flash custom ROMs? If so I'll just do it that way.
  6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

You have to unlock the bootloader in order to flash a custom recovery. You should already have a stock recovery. Of course it is possible that root somehow damaged your recovery partition, but then you'd get an error, not Odin mode.

*moved one more time to the S4 AT&T All-things-root forum*
  7. mrleroybrown

mrleroybrown Well-Known Member

would an Odin image help me get out of bootloop? I removed the platform.xml file form the system>etc>permissions folder from my phone with the intent of replacing it with a modified platform.xml file but I rebooted before I replaced it and now I'm off in bootloop lala land. I need someone to toss me a bone! I'm dying ova heayah.