No service when 3g is enabledSupport

Last Updated:

1. woops

woops New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi there,

I got my nexus one a week ago and i've been more than happy with my new phone. This feels like a major upgrade from Nokia and Symbian - there's no going back anymore!

Unfortunately, since yesterday I have been having problems with 3G connection. The symptoms are as follows:

- If I have the option "Use only 2G networks" disabled, I get no service at all. The connection bars are at zero and there's a small 'x' next to to the bars.
    - If the "Use only 2G networks" is enabled, I get a regular E/G connection with full bars and the service works as it should (calling, messages, internet)
    - I have tried all kinds of apn options, removing the apn altogether and resetting the phone to factory settings
    - The sim has regular 3g service using another phone. I also tried another sim in my N1 and the same problem occurs
    - When the phone is trying to use 3G, if I access the "Network Operators" menu it times out when searching for available operators. It doesn't matter if I have the "Select automatically" enabled.

All in all, I get no service unless I'm forcing the phone to use 2G networks. The error occurred all of the sudden - it worked nicely for a week with no problems. I've been trying to google this but I haven't been able to track down anyone with the same problem. This really is driving me crazy!

Advertisement
  2. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Hmmm, if you are certain that in the same area you were getting a 3G signal with your other phone, then it seems that you have a problem of some sort with your Nexus. note, that it does take a few seconds for the phone to try switch between 3G and 2G modes.

First of all, I would try a factory reset to see if this fixes your issues (Settings / Privacy / Factory Data Reset). You will lose all of your messages but all your contacts / gMail will be backed up on the cloud. Your apps should be automatically loaded back to your phone, or if not, you will find them in the Downloads section of the Market, for you to install again yourself.

Try this & see if it solves the problem.

3. woops

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have tried the factory reset but the problem persisted.

Also to my understanding even if I was outside 3g coverage I should at least get regular service. Now what happens is that I get no service at all so I'm not able to place calls etc, even though I get max bars Edge connection when forced to 2g.

4. daffyduck

Even more hmmmmm.

Yes, even if there is no 3G, it should still pick up G (2G) signal.

Another thing to check - in Settings / About Phone, does the Firmware version say "2.1-update1" ? There was an update pushed out to phones over a month ago, which improved the phones reported issue with 3G connectivity.

If you have not got the update on your phone, you will be able to find the installation instructions & the file to download on this forum (you will need to do a search for it).

Otherwise, I would call HTC in your country and report a duff phone :(

5. woops

Yup I've got the latest update.

I guess next step is contacting support - the thing is that I'm in Finland and I bought the phone directly from the US.

Does anyone know how HTC works with Nexus support in Europe, as the phone hasn't been rolled out in most of the places?

6. daffyduck

Google phone website will be your first step.

You need to find the Nordics HTC.

7. deel

deel Well-Known Member

you probably have wcdma only, you need to change to wcdma preferred. i forget the exact function, but search for #4636#, or something to that effect and that's how you change it