no sidetone?Support

Last Updated:

1. jkmasi

jkmasi Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I noticed right away on my new incredible that there isn't any sidetone. For those that don't know what that is, here's some info --

Sidetone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My Eris had great sidetone and I really miss that feature. Does anyone have it? Or is it just that some phones have it and some don't? Any way to turn it on??

Advertisement
  2. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

You actually want sidetone? I thought that was something we aimed to reduce/eliminate?

3. jtb199

jtb199 Well-Known Member

+1

4. jkmasi

jkmasi Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

A certain amount of side tone, yes. It makes the conversation more natural - more like a call on a land line. Don't get me wrong, too much is bad.... but a little is way better than none, IMHO.

5. DCLiz

DCLiz New Member

I just got an HTC Hero last week, and am extremely disappointed to find that it doesn't have sidetone. I have heard that it was actually removed in Android 2.1 and it existed before? Is there a way to get it back, maybe through firmware?

I can't imagine why someone wouldn't want it; without it it is like talking to a block of wood. Lack of sidetone is the reason why people shout into their cell phones, and not into landlines. Maybe it was poorly implemented before, and that's why people complained and it was eliminated instead of being tweaked to correct the "echo" problem.

Anyways, I really hope firmware can fix this.

6. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

I don't remember any of my cell phones having side tone, and I've never felt like shouting into them.

7. studiorat

studiorat Member

I have the HTC Incredible and I have a massive amount of side tone It is very annoying and I have sent it back 6 times because of it!! i finally found out what its called so when I call tech support i can tell em thats what the problem is!! i understand a little is needed for natural conversation In my opinion the Dinc... Has far too much of it

8. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

Land line phone is actually less natural as the lower and upper range frequencies are cut out to save bandwith.