Last Updated:

1. kamaleon

kamaleon Member

Does anyone know why I cannot find skype in the market? :(

Advertisement
  2. Budius

Budius Member

because unfortunately there isn't one :(
    used to have a lil piece of crap called skype lite, which was a piece of crap.

This "lite" used your actual phone minutes to make or receive any skype call... pretty dull!!
    There are a few generic messengers app on the market that connects to the skype, a simple google on it u can find.
  3. jasoraso

jasoraso Well-Known Member

The reason you can't find Skype in the Market is that you aren't on Verizon. That's right - Verizon somehow convinced Skype to sign a deal with the devil - and so Skype apparently is only available to Verizon Android phones. And to make things worse, Skype ONLY functions over 3G - not Wi-fi.

As you can tell, I'm a little ticked off that the Skype chose to go this route, and I'm even on Verizon. Last time I traveled to Europe, I took my Verizon WinMo phone, Samsung i730 and used it to call the U.S. using Skype via wifi. Guess that won't work now.

The only good part of the Verizon/Skype product, is that you can call internationally now using Skype and it is on the 3g network, which can be a good thing - it is just a pity you can't choose to use it on wi-fi instead.
  4. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

Just use fring
  5. mdsj

mdsj Well-Known Member

what is fring?
  6. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

Fring is an app that supports quite a few IM standards, including Skype VOIP. You have to create a fring account, but once you have done so you can log into your Skype account and merrily talk to your contacts there. It uses WiFi or 3G. I use it quite regularly and does the trick well. Search on the market to find it.
    mdsj likes this.
  7. kamaleon

kamaleon Member

Skype is not working for me with fring. It says subscribing and it stays like that...