No Sleep = Bad Battery Life - Solved!Tips

1. adrianoftyriel

adrianoftyriel Well-Known Member

Well, today I discovered why I've been getting such poor battery life on my X10. It wasn't sleeping... EVER. If you suspect this to be your case as well, why not check?

1) Reboot your phone.
    2) Don't unlock it, or launch/kill any programs for 20 MINS!
    3) Unlock and dial *#*#4636#*#* (*#*#INFO#*#*)
    4) Select Battery History
    5) Press on "Running Time" Make note of the "Time spent not sleeping"
    6) Lock the phone and WAIT ANOTHER 20 MINS!!
    7) Check the "Time spent not sleeping" again, and compare values. They should be only marginally different.

Anyway, I had a hunch that this was being caused by 3G Watchdog, and so uninstalled it and checked again... sure enough, the phone was sleeping like a baby. Some of you might find other programs that are doing the same thing though, check it out.

Hope this helps some of you increase your battery life.

Advertisement
    Bexy likes this.
  2. luke318is

luke318is Well-Known Member

when i installed 3g watchdog, it said it had access to stop the phone from sleeping, i noticed that and wondered if it would hurt battery life.

why the hell would they make such a great app stop the phone from sleeping. now i have to uninstall it :(
  3. Busha

Busha Well-Known Member

I dont want to uninstall 3G Watchdog since it is THE BEST data counter...
  4. adrianoftyriel

I understand, but it's gotta go. If it doesn't let the phone sleep you're going to lose A TONNE of battery life.

Upon further inspection, my phone sleeps MORE now, but still not as much as it should. I'm going to start testing more apps.

It's also possible that we have a No Sleep Bug similar to what was experienced with the Samsung Galaxy. I'll try to find the threads that solved that.
  5. sonic_sadeq

sonic_sadeq New Member

Have you guys tried Advanced Task Killer? i've had my x10 for about 5 days and just installed ATK - hoping it's going to help.

Does 3G watchdog come pre-installed from Rogers?
  6. adrianoftyriel

I'm doing further testing today regarding watchdog. IV implemented dome other suggestions from xda forums. I'll let you know my findings.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
  7. adrianoftyriel

Sure enough 3g watchdog is deffinately preventing the phone from sleeping and therefore DESTROYING battery life.

If you find other programs that do the same, let me know and I'll maintain a list in my first post.

8. palace35mm

palace35mm Member

Hi,

i have not installed any 3g watch dog but have Task Killer installed.
    when i check the batter its still not sleeping.
    How do i put the phone intosleep mode.
  9. mike_p

mike_p New Member

thanks for your helpful post.
    true enough my experia is draining fast because of running apps in the background. even if the wi-fi is closed and it is only in standby mode, it is draining at least 10% per hour, or even more!
    i downloaded advance task manager from the android market, installed and customized some settings. after installing it, my fone is draining by only 1-2% max per hour on standby mode.
  10. NBAD25

NBAD25 Member

Strangely It was only now that my X10 refused to sleep,

My total running time is at 71% is that normal, but now it's consistently 100%, I don't use Watchdog I used 'Stats' which i found to be simpler and moar awsum! but after i uninstalled it that's when i notices the problem.

What to do?
  11. adrianoftyriel

Sounds like you have a program preventing your phone from sleeping.try installing one and THEN REBOOTING. It's a grueling process, but totally worth it.

12. luke318is

this is all very interesting
  13. luke318is

I cant figure it out. some days it stops phone from sleeping and others it does not. Today it stopped the phone from sleeping, and i noticed my battery dropping quickly. i rebooted my phone, and it slept fine after that.
  14. werthers

werthers Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the app 'stats' sleeps? If it doesn't it might be a good alternative to 3gwatchdog
  15. luke318is

ill have to check out stats. 3g watchdog is hit or miss. sometimes it prevents sleep, sometimes it doesent.

is stats any good?
  16. rgruet

rgruet Member

Guys,

I'm the author of 3G watchdog. It is written to prevent the phone to sleep for less than one second only once a day at midnight (if the phone is on).

So I'm a little surprised by your reporting that it prevents the phone to sleep forever. I can't see how it could possibly happen, unless there is some twisted Android API implementation on the X10 that doesn't comply with the official documentation.

Richard
  17. luke318is

Ok. Now this is interesting. Sometimes my phone was sleeping fine with watchdog installed. So I wonder if the problem lies elsewhere. I was hoping the watchdog dev would see this thread.
  18. luke318is

Ya. I killed the watchdog app and my phone still doesn't sleep.
  19. gaz23g

gaz23g Member

if you have updated the google maps app this also stops your phone from sleeping because of the navigation part of it.
  20. uzee

uzee Well-Known Member

how does advanced task manager help with the battery life?