No space in brand new phoneSupport

Last Updated:

1. travelcat

travelcat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Android Version: 2.2
    Network: T-Mobile, no contract, but with email, text, and data.
    Taskiller Used?: just the one in the phone

Issue:

I received my unlocked Desire yesterday, loaded maybe a half-dozen apps, and already it's complaining about being full!

I went in and attempted to clear the cache on each app, all were already 0. I tried to move some to the SD card, couldn't move them.

Reformatted the SD card (stupid, I'd not saved data on it!), so now it's nearly the full 4GB, but I still cannot move apps to it.

I then deleted a couple of apps and cleared the (almost unused) browser cache, it stopped complaining about space, but there's still only about 22MB available. There's no email and only two messages on the phone.

First, how can I move apps over to the card, and second, can I truly have only about a half-dozen apps on this thing? It's supposed to be better than buttered bread, and it is an awesome phone, but if I can't put more apps on it I'll have to send it back.

I'd rather not reset to factory, but if that's necessary then I can try that. I'm also reluctant to root the phone - I'm technically capable of doing it, but nervous about bricking the phone. I'd like to try all other options first.

Any help is appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

what apps are you using, are they huge ones like navigon, google earth etc?
    are you on android 2.2 or still 2.1? (you can only put apps on the sdcard if your rooted and using apps2sd or on 2.2 where it is possible for some apps only.)

I have nearly 90 apps on my phone and 30mb free still, so that sounds like a problem.

3. rtb35

rtb35 Well-Known Member

4. travelcat

Thanks. The version on my Android is 2.2. Some apps have the option to install to the SD card, but it fails, every time, no matter how often I try.

rtb, for some reason I thought Froyo was an app to root the device, but thanks - now I see it's actually the codename for v 2.2! Doh!

I'm reluctant to try the method offered, especially if the guy who provided the fix has gone into hiding :)

5. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

6. rtb35

rtb35 Well-Known Member

I used that method about a month ago and have had zero problems and all apps that i install now automatically go onto my sd card so it is very safe to use and if you do have a problem it is reversible.

7. travelcat

Tried the SDK command mode method today, and am less than happy. Some apps did indeed move. Others still would not. Some moved, then would not work. I had to uninstall them, then reinstall (and resetup), which was annoying. Some insist on installing to the SD card despite the mod, and at least one of my favorites now refuses to install at all.

So this was not pain free for me, but at least my phone has stopped complaining about space, for now.

Even moving as many apps as I can to the card, I still only have 32MB worth of internal free space, which I expect will vanish soon. What the heck is using over 500MB of space? Even with Astro I can't figure out where the bloat is.

8. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Its only 148MB of space.

The best method is to root and install a custom rom that uses a2sd+