No Space Left On DeviceSupport

Last Updated:

1. mikeb81

mikeb81 Member This Topic's Starter

While on holiday my HTC Desire starting reporting that it was running out of space. It could never figure exactly what was taking up the space unfortunately, but I assume one of my apps was using a stupid amount of data.

Anyway on the last day of my holiday the phone refused to boot at all. It shows the HTC screen, then the carriers custom splash screen (T-Mobile), then reboots and goes back to the HTC screen in an endless loop.

I booted the device into the recovery console and received the following errors:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command
    E:Error in DATA:data/recovery/log
    (No Space left on device)

I'm aware that I could do a factory reset, but I don't really want to lose all of my apps, scenes and other data if I can possibly help it.

I found one site where a guy claimed to have been able to fix the problem by connecting to the device using adb and then deleting some files, but I can't get adb to recognise the phone. 'adb devices' always returns nothing.

So, can anyone tell me how to get my phone (which won't boot into anything other than fastboot and recovery) to connect to adb so I can wipe some files? Will the phone have to be rooted to do this? (It isn't).

Do I have any other options other than a factory reset?

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Welcome to Android Forums, Mike.

Your HTC Desire question has been moved to that device's forums to users of that phone will have a chance to respond.

3. mikeb81

Ah, thanks Frisco. I didn't search for a better forum well enough.

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Did you connect the phone via usb before you turned it on? Try that to see if adb then recognises it.

5. mikeb81

Hi danfrance

Yes, I connected the phone via USB before I turned it on. adb still isn't recognising it. I'm not sure at which point it 'should' recognise it though. Since the phone can't boot properly I'm putting it into fastboot and then recovery mode, and adb doesn't recognise it in either of those states.

Should adb be able to connect to a non-rooted phone?

6. SUroot

Should do. You should be able to mount data/app and delete apps.

I'm afraid the only thing I can think of to help now is to loose your data.

Might be worth hanging on though, to wait for some other replies.

7. mikeb81

Hi Dan

Yeah, I'll definitely hold on for a bit. I'm not ready to give up just yet.

At what point should adb be able to recognise the device, and is there anything I have to do to make it connect over USB or is that the default? I've been trying while it's in recovery mode (when the picture of the phone with the red triangle and exclamation mark appears).

I've never actually used adb before, it's only on my PC because I downloaded the the development kit to test out making some apps.

8. SUroot

When you get to that screen with the red triangle, press Vol Up + power. Do you get another screen? If so, try adb devices then too.

9. mikeb81

Yes, I've tried it from the recovery options screen too. In fact it's when I enter the recovery options screen that it gives the errors about lack of space.

I'm currently trying to reinstall the adb drivers, which theunlockr.com says may make it work when 'adb devices' fails to find the device.

10. mikeb81

Well re-installing the drivers didn't seem to work, but I'm not sure whether the drivers are right or not. When viewing in USBDeview it's listing the phone as 'Android 1.0'. If the 1.0 is referring to the android version then it's wrong, since I'm running 2.1 at the minute. Have the drivers been updated, and if so is there a way to get 2.1 compatible drivers installed?

Seems a bit of a long shot though.

11. SUroot

if you have htc sync installed you should have the right drivers. You can uninstall htc sync and leave the drivers. May work. but yes, longshot.