No space on /system

Last Updated:

1. dk_zero-cool

dk_zero-cool Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi. I recently installed the modaco r8 version of Android on my desire. Then when I wanted to install bash and nano, I found out that the system partition was out of space. Is there a way to fix this? I can't even create symbolic links on it. And yes, I did remember to remount the drive :)

I used the df command to check the remaining space, and there is about 3 bytes left.

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Why are you installing all apps to system/?

3. Panama

Panama Active Member

I have the same issue when trying to update the hosts file with the MIUI rom, haven't found a solution yet :-(

4. dk_zero-cool

#2 I'm not, its two binary files that I need to place inside /system/bin

5. SUroot

oh right.

You only have a limited amount of space ( I found out the other day that the entire system partition is 250MB).

You may have to use android mate or root explorer to browse to system/app and see what apps are there.

Make a list of all the apps you can download for free from the market and do so, then remove them from system/app

6. dk_zero-cool

This is strange.
    I re-booted the phone and checked the available space again, and now it said 72M. Once more I re-mounted the partition and rechecked the available space, still 72M. Then I tried to do "cp /sdcard/download/nano /system/bin" and got this message "Cannot allocate memory". I checked the available space once more, and now it was back at 3 bytes.

Nano does not take up 72M of space. But still I wanted to try something else, so I rebooted once more to get my 72M back, re-mounted and this time tryed "ln -s /sdcard/download/nano /system/bin/". Again I got the message "Cannot allocate memory". Now I know that a symbolic link does not take up 72M of memory.

Anyone have an idea for this?

7. SUroot

Double check the system storage with quick system info from the market

8. dk_zero-cool

Makes no difference. It says the same as "df"

9. SUroot

Then maybe 3 bytes is correct.

JDY likes this.
  10. dk_zero-cool

I only get 3 bytes if I try to change the partition in any way. If I try to delete from or copy to the partition. Otherwise it shows 72M free space

11. teppic74

teppic74 Well-Known Member

You can't write to the system partition except in recovery. Remounting won't work.

12. dk_zero-cool

Ok, do you know how to do this? From what have read, I should use adb console in recovery, only I don't seam to have that for some reason. I can mount the partitions, but I can't do much with them accept for creating and restoring backup ROM's

13. SUroot

You need to download the android sdk to your pc, run a command prompt from the tools folder and run adb shell.

If you click my name, go to statistics, find all threads started by danfrance and look for a thread called how to easily remove system apps. The first part of this guide tell you how to.tu. adb shell in more detail

14. dk_zero-cool

Nice that worked great. It also explained what the adb daemon is for. I was wondering about that :)

Thanks a lot for the help.

15. pedro1977

pedro1977 Well-Known Member

Hi

I have a samsung r720 with the same problem. Interestingly i have just put on a new stock rom and in the previous one i used to be able to change the gps.conf file. In this version i cant as there is no space left. Im using root explorer in both situations any ideas? I can write to the data folder etc.

16. SUroot

if there is no space, there is no space. root explorer needs space to create a backup., You would need to remove it from the phone, edit it on a computer and put it back.

Or remove a /system/app that you dont use.

17. pedro1977

pedro1977 Well-Known Member

How can there be no space on one image and tons of space on another. This image is also stock my other was full of junk. Quite simply there is nothing to remove, its very strange? I was wondering if there are separate partitions and this one has messed up in some way in the nandrid backup??

18. Hadron

Hadron VIP Member VIP Member

Pedro, you might be best advised to ask in you device's forum. There are partitions in the internal storage, but at least on an HTC (this forum) a ROM flash or nandroid backup can't change their sizes. But people here won't know the partition sizes on your device, nor the ROMs, so can't really say whether what you describe is to be expected or not.