No UI needed in 3.0....?

Last Updated:

1. fahadchaudhry

fahadchaudhry Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just like Hero owners waited ages for 2.1, Desire is also suffering this delay. But what IMO will relieve us from this suffering in future is 3.0. As I read somewhere that 3.0 will diminish the need for UIs from manufacturers; and it will really be good for us - buyers, because then we won't have to wait for updates from manufacturers.

But, is this really true that UI won't be needed in 3.0? Any idea about 2.2 for Desire.

Advertisement
  2. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned there isn't a delay,they said it will come in q3 and haven't given a specific date to my knowledge.Its only rumors where the dates have come from.

3. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Correct. Android 3.0 will have no UI: in order to prune the user base of average users and consumers, Gingerbread will let you interact with the OS directly through lines of code and nothing but. Hope you're ready to learn some Java!

4. nicmel

nicmel Well-Known Member

Wouldn't even lines of code be some form of UI, just not a GUI? A device without a UI would be a brick, or would the UI be the surface of the brick and gravity allowing us to lift the brick?

Maybe a device without a UI is some intangible phantom creation of the mind?

5. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Yes, even command line is a user interface. Even of you could think something and the phone did it - that would still be a user interface.

Anyway, I think the op is referring to 3rd party UI's like sense.
    Odd though, Android doesn't need them now.3rd parties choose to apply them to give their devices an identity and unique sellimg points

6. DesireMe

DesireMe Well-Known Member

And for that reason i always reckon there will be 3rd party GUIs. Voda will want to offer something T-Mob doesn't and so on and so forth.

7. Mik3h

Mik3h Well-Known Member

I think some people are forgetting, that just because there is no need for a manufacturer to put another GUI over the stock OS, doesn't mean that they won't do it anyway :p

I can see HTC still wanting to implement a brand new different version of Sense. Could be optional though, we'll see.